Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim now sounds like a Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012 | 10:30 AM
JimmyZ06
|
Intermediate
Default Softail Slim now sounds like a Harley!

Hi, I am new here, been reading through threads trying to learn about modifications and the requiremnts of each.
First modification I did was to make the Slim sound like a Harley vice a sweing machine, by adding Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles. Sounds great, like it should from the factory IMO.

However, I have noted decel popping on a relatively frequent basis and I noted from reading threads on here that popping is indicative of lean fuel flow which equates to hotter engine temps. This has me a bit concerned.

I do plan more modifications in the future, a little at a time...the Navy dont pay me enough to go all out from the start!....

Anyway, knowing that I plan on more modifications in the future, if I were to get a fuel management system now to cure the decel popping and engine temps as well as not having to buy one in the future to accomodate my additonal modifications, what are the opinions on what I should go with?
Honestly right now I am considering the Power Vision.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jim

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:26 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain

There are a zillion threads on this forum on the topic. It would be best to search on your own a bit before starting yet another one. Knowing you intend to mod further is a good starting point.

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:47 AM
JimmyZ06
|
Intermediate

Thanks mswing! I was a bit hesitant to start yet another thread due to the zillion other threads. Being as the Slim is new, I wasnt sure if anyone had tried various fuel management products on the Slim. Hindsight, while the bike is a new model, the fuel control and motor arent as new...
There is a LOT of great information on here!!!
Again, thank you! Ride safe!
Jim

Old 07-01-2012 | 12:04 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain

I have a '12 Streetbob, I have put on Kustom Krome 3" slip ons.
I get some decell popping. I just read the plugs and they are good.
I am going to upgrade the air cleaner, and go with a Powervision tuner.
Watch the vids at Fuelmoto.

Last edited by Pistonman1; 07-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2012 | 12:19 PM
11Heritage
Advanced

The Power Vision is awesome! I bought one and couldn't be happier with it. And it will handle any and all future mods that you do to your ride. Give Jamie at fuel moto a call and he will treat you right.

Old 07-01-2012 | 01:27 PM
jdm65
Cruiser

I purchased a Power Vision from jamie at Fuel moto for my 06 Fatboy--drag pipes with QQ baffles & K&N air breather.
The preinstalled Fuel Moto map made my bike run much better but still had severe decel pop & loud pops at upshift---just like HD download. Since it was Saturday I didn't call Jamie I did some googling & studying of maps on the dynojet website---I found all the info I needed to change the right settings to get rid of my popping.
My bike now has gurgling on decel but zero popping. I called Jamie Monday morning & told them of my changes to their map & he said all was good with my changes & to leave as is.
I had a Great experience with Fuelmoto & powervision !!!

Old 07-01-2012 | 09:33 PM
JimmyZ06
|
Intermediate

Sounds like a better inhaling AC and a Power Vision is in my future!
In the meantime, I think I should be ok riding with the Rush slip ons.
The decel gurggling and the popping on upshift arent too bad....
I will give Jamie at Fuelmoto a call for AC recommendations and the PV.
Thanks all!

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:12 PM
av8or
Road Master

In the mean time make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks where the mufflers mount. That wil cause decel popping.

Old 07-02-2012 | 12:04 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Some decel popping and gurggeling will be more pronounced with the louder pipes. I get a a small amount on my bike even after a good dyno tune. If you watch your plugs like mentioned above that will be a good indicator of weather or not your running lean or not. If you are experiencing loud back fire pops I would check for an exhaust leak.

Old 07-02-2012 | 12:12 AM
Ace Hanlon
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Quick Reply: Softail Slim now sounds like a Harley!