Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering head nut ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 05:11 PM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain
Default steering head nut ?

Hi, i had a noise when going over bumps like something loose,so ii took off steering head cap and the steering nut was loose and the washer was banging around ,,so i took a wrench and tighten it up ,I backed it off then the washer is loose,so i got it tight,is to tight going to hurt steering ,didnt touch nothing else ,2004 heritage

Old 06-30-2012 | 10:49 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Go to the dealer, there is a bulletin that replaces the washer and changes the torque settings. Bulletin M-1215 IIRC. And yes, too tight will create a problem. And you need to loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom tree when retorquing the head nut. Get the new washer, and follow the instructions that come with it. Also, get a manual while you're there if you don't already have one. Had the same issue on mine, this fixed it.

Old 07-01-2012 | 07:44 AM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain

so ,i was just trying to get washer tight ,didnt make since to me being loose ,i didnt loosen any pinch nuts just tightened the nut tell the washer wouldnt move,it handled ok just a rattle ,thats why ii checked ,so if i want to ride today ,just back it off ,dont feel like taking a bunch of stuff off ,maybe later

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:38 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

If its the flimsy sheet metal washer, you should tighten to spec and bend the washer up a bit to lock the nut. I wouldn't ride around with it loose, that's just as bad if not worse than too tight.

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:48 AM
WFA
Tourer

Bobbyjoe...imo opinion you need to follow advice from jr as it relates to maintenance 1215. Hd has a heavier washer to use in conjunction with the increased torque recommendation. New torque is 70-80 ft pounds if you don't already know. Get it right and you'll be happier in the long run...

Woody

Old 07-01-2012 | 12:44 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobbyjoes
Hi, i had a noise when going over bumps like something loose,so ii took off steering head cap and the steering nut was loose and the washer was banging around ,,so i took a wrench and tighten it up ,I backed it off then the washer is loose,so i got it tight,is to tight going to hurt steering ,didnt touch nothing else ,2004 heritage
First, the front end needs to be up in the air with no weight on it. Then you will loosen up the lower pinch bolts. Then you will tighten up the preload nut until you have about 1" of fall-away in each direction. NOTE: The preload nut has no specified torque value. Then you will tighten the top nut(if equipped) to the specified torque. Then you tighten up the lower pinch bolts to their specified torques. You should then be good to go.

Old 07-01-2012 | 01:07 PM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain

ok, thanks guys for all the help ,i rode it today it seem alringt ,still litlle clunk to it , it has the bigger washer on it ,no tabs to bend up ,get a rainy day and take all apart the way it should be done ,thanks again

Old 07-01-2012 | 01:11 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Why ask advise if your going to Just ride it anyways? I guess it's just your steering, no big deal, right

Old 07-01-2012 | 02:25 PM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain

well ,im going to take there advice ,just not doing it today ,does that make you happy

Old 07-07-2012 | 02:28 PM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain
Default update

Well, i worked on front steering ,both of my lower pinch bolts were snapped in half,got the old out ,put new in ,i torqued stem nut to 65 foot Lbs,pinch bolts to 40 ft lb,now will see how she rides ,thanks for the help,

Quick Reply: steering head nut ?