Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruined drive belt !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 PM
wiktor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ruined drive belt !

Anybody else have a drive belt ruined by road debris? I was riding my 2011 Fatboy home, only have 9,000 miles on it and came to a road construction stop as they were laying down new asphalt. I was stopped for a while then waived on, of course I was in front of everbody else but still went slow, about 15-20 MPH. The road was still covered with loose pieces of asphalt and there was nowhere to stop or turn around as we were in one lane. I got home about 5 miles later and found some asphalt had lodged in and cut a groove along the backside of my drive belt. So now it's at the dealership getting a new one. There are two roads home and the other road was just tarred and chipped.Gotta love living in rural PA!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

There are basically four ways to ruin a drive belt:

1. Plain old wear from lots of miles
2. Huge power motor and dropping the clutch
3. Misalignment of the belt/loose sprocket(s)
4. Road debris lodging into the belt drive

Sorry to hear #4 got you. It is less common, but unfortunately not uncommon. Some folks swear that removing the belt guards reduces this problem. Others say the guards prevent it from happening more often. I can't say who is right. My belt guards are installed and, thankfully, I have not had the problem you did.

While you are getting the work done, make sure to ask the mechanic to mount the axle so that it can be removed next time (left to right instead of right to left) without removing the exhaust (reverse from the way it was installed at the factory). Also, make sure they check for broken teeth on the sprockets. If you have been thinking of getting a chrome rear sprocket or a chrome cover for your stock one, now is the time, my friend.

Last edited by SprungDave; 06-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Nick
Road Master

Dang sorry to hear that

Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 PM
woznotwoz
Cruiser

What a complete pain...feel for you bro..

Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I've had a groove on the outside of my belt for 40,000 miles. That's not a ruined belt unless it's into the fibers..

Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,407 Likes on 2,030 Posts

No, But my Son just had his ruined by a nut that came off the exhaust. Always serviced at a dealer and extended warrantee but they would not cover it.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 PM
wiktor
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping the sprockets are OK but won't know until the belt comes off. Yeah, it was deep enough I could see fibers.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wiktor
Anybody else have a drive belt ruined by road debris? I was riding my 2011 Fatboy home, only have 9,000 miles on it and came to a road construction stop as they were laying down new asphalt. I was stopped for a while then waived on, of course I was in front of everbody else but still went slow, about 15-20 MPH. The road was still covered with loose pieces of asphalt and there was nowhere to stop or turn around as we were in one lane. I got home about 5 miles later and found some asphalt had lodged in and cut a groove along the backside of my drive belt. So now it's at the dealership getting a new one. There are two roads home and the other road was just tarred and chipped.Gotta love living in rural PA!

Greencastle ?

I found bits and pieces of asphalt laying on top of the case/trans area on my ride.. i was like wtf.. gonna give it a good look over today.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
Greencastle ?

I found bits and pieces of asphalt laying on top of the case/trans area on my ride.. i was like wtf.. gonna give it a good look over today.

Route 416?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ok, it sounded real familiar with what i've been dealing with the past 2 weeks on route 16 in greencastle.. what a freekin mess.

PS, i checked the ride real close today.. everything looks ok except for the the primary seal leaking..

Quick Reply: Ruined drive belt !