Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
mbuesing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Brakes

I was wondering if anyone had ever upgraded their brakes to be beefier? I read an article a few years back (and I'll be damned if I can find it) that recomends putting better brakes on the big bikes we ride.

If you've done this, what was bigger/better about your setup and how was performance before vs. after? What manufacturer did you use? Anything to be concerned with?

I ride an 07 Heritage. I'm a big guy (@ 200) and my wife is tall, so she's 160 (I hope she doesn't read these posts ). So, we've got a bit of weight to stop.

Thanks and safe riding to all.

Mike.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Upgraded Brakes

Have not done it but the TV show American Thunder did an upgrade using Performance Machine 6 piston calipers and floating rotors to improve braking. They are bolt on replacement parts.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 AM
cos
Novice

There's also Brembo - generally acknowledged as the world's best caliper. They're standard on Ducatis and Victorys.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 6 piston pm calipers on the front of my fatboy, I weigh 200 myself. On the back I have 4 psiton caliper. I bought it used like this. I don't have floating discs, although am interested in how much beter that would help me stop. I don't have the money for all this stuff right now, but am glad that mine came with them.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:18 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I question the whole bigger, better brake question.
The reason I say that is because I have little or noproblem getting the rear to run at the very edge of the tires traction limits or lock up with the stock brakes, and I know I have momentarily done the same to the front. Nearly dropped the bike that time.
So until I can get better, stickier tires that the brakes can't lock up on, I don't see how so called "better" brakes could do any more for me thanwhat I have now.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the larger braking area of larger calipers and larger rotors would allow you to stop the bike quicker without locking up the wheels. Or thats my understanding of it. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just changing to LRB Z+ pads and changing to floating rotors made a huge difference for me. They made sush a big difference that I had the dealer install my pads that I brought in when they were preppingmy new bike.
They not only stop better, they have a smoother on/off.....if ya know what I mean.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/6FBE9A4B8895421FB8D8C5E53B72CF71.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2007, 03:14 PM
cos
Novice

Citoriplus,

It all comes down to feel, specifically control and modulation at the point of impending lockup. Have you ridden a single disc Victory with it's stock braided line and Brembo caliper? I have - very impressive stopping power!

The best bang for the buck for a stock HD is abraided line(s) andpremium pads (Lyndall Racing Z pads or EBC "HH").The next step would be a premium caliper and floating rotor.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not so much a matter of bigger being better, although bigger is better, it also has a lot to do with multi piston calipers.PM's 6piston calipers do not applypressure from all pistons equally. That's a bigcontributing factor inPM's calipers being better.The 00 and later are4 piston calipers, which along with upgraded lines, pads,and floating rotors, are light years ahead(ok, maybe a little exaggeration, but not as much as you would think), of what came on the 99 and earlier dual pistonbikes. BeforeI spent the big bucks on 6 piston calipers, I'd replace the lines with stainless, along with betterpads and floating rotors.You'd want to change the lines anyway,if you were going to upgrade the calipers, so it's only costing you a set of pads (fairly inexpensive), anda set of rotors (not too pricey). Hey, just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 PM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded to a 6-piston, differential bore PM caliper on the front and a GMA 4-piston on the rear. I also have floating rotors at both ends. As soon as the original brake pads that came with each caliper wear out I'll be switching to the Lyndall Racing Z pads for even better braking.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Brakes