Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:26 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Upgraded Brakes

OK, I'll concede that the stockers are not the last word in braking. But my contention is that there is vanishingly little difference in ANY braking system once you pass the point of a tires traction limits. If bigger rotors, floating rotors,more pistons, or differential bore calipers can get you closer to that magic lockup threshold, with less chance of going over it. Then they may be truly better.

But in panic situations your natural instincts especially with the rear pedal means that your foots ability to put a huge amount ofpressure on the rear caliper and the bikes weighttransfer locking up at least the rear is a very real probability.I don't care howmuch money you spent on brakes.

That's where I have a problem, no brake no matter how good and fancy it may be, can stop a bikeany quicker than the tires will allow. If you put stickier tires on a bike, and the stock brakescan't lock them up. Then you have a very valid case for bigger better brakes.
Beyond that I have a hard time justifying spending a ton of money on brakes that are in reality not able tostop a bike any faster than the tires will allow. If the bike came with MUCH stickier tires, I might be first in line for at least a set of better rotors and pads.

I plan on changing tobraided lines anyway,because I like the looks of them. But more importantly only a fool would think that the stock rubber lines are anywhere near as good aseven a cheap set of braided steel lines. I am also giving serious consideration to changing the pads out for the Lindell Racing Z pads. If for no other reason than all the damn dust the stockers put out. They are just a royal pain in the a$$ to keep cleaning up after all the time.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:29 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah, I have the steel braided lines too...

Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"That's where I have a problem, no brake no matter how good and fancy it may be, can stop a bikeany quicker than the tires will allow."

Actually, that's not true. Good brakes can make a significant difference in stopping ability. The one thing you've failed to take into account is brake fade and heat. Big rotors, drilled rotors, and slotted rotors all dissipate heat, which allows the caliper to apply more pressure without fade. Multi valve/piston calipers allow the pressure to be more evenly distributed, thus generating less heat...meaning less fade.I guess the short versionof all this is,you've got fade, lockup and the gap in between. Brake upgrades are designed to reduce this gap. What we have on the 00 and later bikes is a significant improvement over the 99 and earlier disc brakes, and you could lock them up pretty easily.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cos

Citoriplus,

It all comes down to feel, specifically control and modulation at the point of impending lockup. Have you ridden a single disc Victory with it's stock braided line and Brembo caliper? I have - very impressive stopping power!

The best bang for the buck for a stock HD is abraided line(s) andpremium pads (Lyndall Racing Z pads or EBC "HH").The next step would be a premium caliper and floating rotor.
What he said!
LRB Z+ Pads
Floating rotors
Goodridge Ebony Series lines and fittings
Stops real good and does notlock up abruptly. The rear 200 has gotta help too. Probably has enough stop to try an endo, but I'mnot the guy to attempt it.
P.S. I had all of this installed on my 07 before taking delivery. I had all of this on my 05 except the Goodridge lines. I can't really "feel" any difference in the lines.....it just stops real good.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 PM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Oh yeah, I have the steel braided lines too...
Yeah, same here, I also have the Metzeler 880 tires which are stickier then stock because they are a softer compound than the Dunlops so this should help stop the bike faster too.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 AM
mbuesing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll start researching and figure out cost for the aforementioned components.

Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a Heritage and it will lock both brakes easily if I want it to. Ihave no need forstronger brakes for me. I think riding style might play into this. I ride a little more causious when I have a passenger. I rideseldom ride in a hurry causemy bike and I enjoy cruising.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride on Pirelli tires. They are sticky and give you a good bang for your buck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/0854C2F07BD4427DBF49632269AD6203.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 10:09 PM
paul_scooter
Cruiser

I know this is an old thread, but I'll be changing my tires and brakes thisnext monthand been searching and reading so i know what my options are. I'm think I'm going to go with the ME 880 tires, 130 front 150 rear. LRB Z+ Pads front and rear.

My question: The braided brake lines are for looks or because the stock brake line could burst? I didn't think that could happen, or HD should make them stronger.

I spend about an hour a day reading this forum and learning.Great place.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Pain Killer
Novice

Rubber brake hoses to some degree will have some flex or expansion when you mush the brake lever. Braided lines will eliminate that symptom, thus providing a firmer brake lever.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Brakes