Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Heritage Softail won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012 | 03:12 PM
DynaDawg09
|
Stage IV
Question 2007 Heritage Softail won't run.

We have at our shop, a 2007 Heritage Softail (EFI) that sat unused and unstarted for several years. It was not set up for storage and the gas went bad, I mean it smelled real bad, and it would not even try to start with a brand new battery and some new gasoline. So, we decided to replace the fuel system from one end to the other. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, both injectors, and both spark plugs. We also flushed the tank of the garbage that was floating around on the bottom. I tried getting the old fuel pump to run on the bench, but it didn't function what so ever. It might have seized from corrosion or just non-use.
Now when we attempt to start the bike, it will start, but it won't stay running and for the short time that it does run, it's real rough. It seems to be losing fuel pressure. We tried to see if the pump was running by letting it run into a gas can and it runs for about 4-5 seconds and then shuts off. At the same time that it shuts off, you can hear and feel the System Relay click. We tried a new System Relay, but no change. We have traced the wiring looking for shorts or any signs of a problem to no avail. We even tried a different ECM, but that didn't help either.
Anyone got any ideas? We're pretty stumped with this one! Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012 | 03:52 PM
jakazz
Road Captain

Any codes?

test pressure? should be 55-62psi

when you say rough, lean, rich? did you look at the IAC, see if it was stuck?

Last edited by jakazz; 06-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2012 | 06:01 PM
DynaDawg09
|
Stage IV

I'll have to see if we have a pressure gauge and no, it's not throwing any codes. I'm just learning the EFI so any ideas are very welcome. We'll look at the IAC tomorrow. When I say rough, it doesn't run well enough, or long enough, to say it's running lean or rich. There is no idle, it's hard to keep it running at all.

Old 06-25-2012 | 06:28 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

The pump is supposed to turn off after a few seconds if 1. no pressure builds in the line and 2 the engine doesn't start. That part works.

How much gas is in the tank? If it is only a gallon or so, with the gas cap off, can you hear the fuel splashing around in the tank when the key is on? I'm thinking there could be a pin hole in the fuel line in the tank. Very common issue and even more common in bikes that have sat.

Old 06-25-2012 | 06:32 PM
jakazz
Road Captain

the IAC is in the TB, when u first look in its at the top. turn the key on and it should move, smoothly. It allows air into the motor at startup and is basically a choke kinda thing. After the motor warms up a little it closes.

The other thing could be the CKP, it controls the ecm to control the fuel pump. So if its bad it could cause the fuel pump to stop running and shut down the system relay. But you did say it clicked after it stopped running.

Another thing is try ptuuting a rag down the TB to the Y. take some map sensor cleaner, spray the IAC, Intake air temp (its the little loop thingy at the top of the TB, and the MAP sensor it to the right upper TB, looks like just a hole. Spray all these down and the take the rag out.

Also, did you here any valvetrain noise? the lifters could be froze up a little making it run rough. You did say it had ben sitting 3 years, right.

There are a lot of tests to assrtain the condition of all these sensors, its in the electrical diagnostic manual.

One other thing you can try is post over at HTT harley tech talk forum, its strictly a tech forum and they get extremely in depth with info. Post all and any info on the bike , exactly what you have done so far, and any little quirks you might think of. These guys know a LOT, believe me.
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/board,3.0.html

Old 06-26-2012 | 08:01 AM
DynaDawg09
|
Stage IV

Thanks guys, we're going to try the fuel line in the tank first, it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. The bike only has 5500 miles on it so we're hoping the rest is good. I'll let you know what we find out.

Old 06-26-2012 | 05:53 PM
jakazz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DynaDawg09
Thanks guys, we're going to try the fuel line in the tank first, it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. The bike only has 5500 miles on it so we're hoping the rest is good. I'll let you know what we find out.
if the fuel is pumping out then u should be good, if you turn on the bike open the fuel cap and listen into the tank for bubbling, if so then you have the dreaded holey fuel line dilemma, which usually wont affect the bike until higher rpms. This is where the pressure gauge comes in handy.

Old 06-26-2012 | 07:26 PM
jad
Road Captain

Should have a three second fuel pump initiation circuit, it operates one of the two relays in the fuse box. I don’t remember which one. Then the crankshaft rotation sensor takes over by my understanding. A code reader is very handy at this point and around 145 bucks on EBay. I think you’ll find it’s not understanding the bike is now running
Dido the fuel pressure test.

Last edited by jad; 06-26-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2012 | 09:27 PM
DynaDawg09
|
Stage IV

We're pretty stumped with this bike. I had the intake module off and completely apart, cleaned, and we have changed EVERY sensor on it. All fuel lines have been checked, it's got new injectors, new sensors, new fuel pump, fuel filter, and pressure regulator. When you try to start it, it will sometimes run for, maybe, 5 to 8 seconds, or it just won't start at all. When it does start, it will not take any throttle. As I said, it's got all new sensors, including the TP Sensor. It has a Thunder Max ECM and we have been in touch with them. It's not thrownig ANY codes. They are sending us the software to communicate with the ECM and connect to their website. Hopefully it will give us some answers because there's nothing else to change or clean!

Last edited by DynaDawg09; 06-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:16 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer

Security system????

Quick Reply: 2007 Heritage Softail won't run.