Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Mod Screw UP, Maybe Not....Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A Mod Screw UP, Maybe Not....Your Thoughts?

I may have an answer to my back license plate relocate, poor shop fitment of existing tailight to new rear fender and the hard new bags that arrive any day now.

Last year when I first order my first round of mods, I screwed up thinking the signal light kit would fit the 200 wide....don't ask how lol. Anyways it was sent to the powder coaters with a bunch of other parts by mistake also...and again don't ask how haha. (busy out of town working is my excuse). So I tossed it to the side and forgot about them.

Then lately after throwing my new rear fender on, the poor fitment/modifying of the back tail light left a big ugly gap underneath dove me nutz feeling like a complete amateur job. Well this morning sitting having coffee with the bike, oh ****! I forgot about the light bar. Hell that just may work. The female ends that flush up against the fender can be shaved down to flush up on the fender....the existing female thread that sits inside can be filled/welded with a male to insert in two holes in the fender. Plus the signal light kit comes with bottom LED illumination and support bracket for the license plate...meaning no longer folks bugging me about my boner of a plate.

And most important, it clears the hard bags and allows the bags to be removed for bar hop flavor. I am still undecided if I cam crazy about the light bar...but only thing that makes sense atm without installing permanent flush lights into the saddlebags even though they will look good.

What do you guys think? Will it look good if I do decide to use it? The Kury bullets will still have HD smoked lenses. Oh also if I can get the plastidip to apply properly, black out the the tail light base.

Last edited by Josewales; 06-24-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it is a great plan. Will kill two birds with one stone. And will look great.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SprungDave
I think it is a great plan. Will kill two birds with one stone. And will look great.
Thanx bud.

Also...what's a good drill bit for a couple clean holes through the paint?

Last edited by Josewales; 06-24-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
Thanx bud.

Also...what's a good drill bit for a couple clean holes through the paint?
Any metal drill bit will be fine. Put some blue painters tape on the area to be drilled and drill right through the tape. I always start with a nice sharp 1/8" bit to make a pilot hole. Then step up in size from there.

I think that light bar will look great!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Any metal drill bit will be fine. Put some blue painters tape on the area to be drilled and drill right through the tape. I always start with a nice sharp 1/8" bit to make a pilot hole. Then step up in size from there.

I think that light bar will look great!
Thanx Rich!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Deadanimal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also use the tape trick but drill the hole just smaller to what you need and use a dremel with a mill type bit (drill bit that cuts with it's sides) or die grinder to finish the holes out all the way and keep em really clean.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't forget, drill slow and use oil. Drilling through metal is a slow, but pressured process. And hold a block of wood (2x4) under the fender before you drill. This will do two things:

1. Allow you to exert pressure without bending or dimpling the fender, and
2. Protect your tire from the drill bit (no flat tire!!!).

Oh, and get some satin (or make them satin) trim rings for the signals. That way they will match the exhaust tips.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Thats gonna lookg good man! I think you found your answer.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Hell bro I usually kill more than 2 birds. HAHAHA.

JW, That will look good brother.

Stone

Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

If it means getting rid of the lights above the tail light that you have up there right now, yeah! I will look so much better.

Quick Reply: A Mod Screw UP, Maybe Not....Your Thoughts?