Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engin guard on a fatboy pics? How much? Which one? Looks good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 05:44 PM
AmericanMuscle
|
Tourer

So these actually save your legs? Is the factory harley version the strongest? I wonder what style will look best on mine

Old 06-20-2012 | 06:02 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Forge
The one I got was on a Deluxe and it fit my Fatty fine. Part number should be stamped on it...you can confirm fitment that way.
Cool. Thanks Forge!

A few years ago a friend side-swiped a guard rail and lost the leg below the knee. We wondered if this would have helped in that case.

Old 06-20-2012 | 07:18 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
So these actually save your legs? Is the factory harley version the strongest? I wonder what style will look best on mine
Years ago they were sold and marketed as Crash Bars. Today with the mass of Legal Eagles waiting to file a law suit against any one they are sold as Engine Guards with Warn Labels that they aren't Crash Bar and Don't Work as such.

Well, years ago went I was young, bullet proof and stupid I laid my 1980 XS1100 Special down and I rode it down too.

Boot had some major road rash, pant where me keys where in my pocket were worn through, leatjher jacket has trashed and the glasses that were on the end of my nose were scrapped up....Took the highway peg right off and FUBAR'ed the end of the exhaust.

The thing that got me was the Brake Peddle, hit the inside of my knee and cut the strap that holds the Knee Cap in place.

Had I not had the had the Crash Bar I doubt I would have a leg or had at least be walking funny and not riding today.

Now just cause I was lucky and the Crash Bar worked you might not be so lucky......Legal Disclosure.

Karsten

Old 06-20-2012 | 09:11 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Linby Linbar

Attached Thumbnails Engin guard on a fatboy pics? How much? Which one? Looks good?-bars-front.jpg   Engin guard on a fatboy pics? How much? Which one? Looks good?-headlight-and-crash-bar.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012 | 09:33 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bronxbill
I have a mustache style engine guard on my 2006 Fat Boy. If you should happen to drop your bike, it will protect the tank. I bought mine on ebay for $165 and that included shipping. As for install, its very simple, 3 bolts and you are done. The holes for the two lower bolts are already in the frame as is the mounting point for the top bolt

Could you post a photo head on of your Fat Boy please?

Old 06-23-2012 | 12:01 AM
F150usafFBlo
6th Gear

I got my black mustache engine guard off ebay for 129 shipped, Karsten is right almost every brand puts a disclaimer that there not rated for crashes but I've been witness to them saving the paint on buddies bikes, laying them down in parking lots. I love mine, adds to the look of the bike and lets me stretch my legs out while cruising and gave me a place to rest my cast after my foot surgery.

Old 06-23-2012 | 12:21 AM
tazzzman
Tourer

No offense to those with "crash bars", but just can't get past the look on a Fatboy. Mine's older (1992 Custom) and have been in one serious wreck (ICU 4 Days) and a hell of a ditch ride (not a rookey, just ride hard for 25 years).

I gotta tell you, CRASH BARS WILL DO VERY LITTLE!!!! Hello, they are BOLT ON. May help you when you "tip" your bike over (those that say they never have are either lying, or newbies).

I understand putting Highway Pegs on, but Crash Bars on one of the COOLEST LOOKING HARLEYS EVER!!!!! I mean, come on, what bike did THE TERMINATOR RIDE????

Old 06-24-2012 | 12:09 AM
Karsten
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tazzzman
No offense to those with "crash bars", but just can't get past the look on a Fatboy. Mine's older (1992 Custom) and have been in one serious wreck (ICU 4 Days) and a hell of a ditch ride (not a rookey, just ride hard for 25 years).

I gotta tell you, CRASH BARS WILL DO VERY LITTLE!!!! Hello, they are BOLT ON. May help you when you "tip" your bike over (those that say they never have are either lying, or newbies).

I understand putting Highway Pegs on, but Crash Bars on one of the COOLEST LOOKING HARLEYS EVER!!!!! I mean, come on, what bike did THE TERMINATOR RIDE????
Read my post above and Crash Bars saved my flippin leg. Everyone may have an opinion and I lived and still walk cause something kept the bike off the ground. Trashed one cover, took the peg off the Crash Bars, messed up the tail end of the muffler......Crash Bar was also scraped up on the lower radius but never bent.

Karsten

Old 06-24-2012 | 07:40 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Originally Posted by tazzzman

Agree about the looks part on some bikes but totally disagree about the save your *** part. Have seen crash bars save people (legs) big time in 20 plus MPH wrecks.

Old 06-24-2012 | 08:38 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Not a Fatty but I have a Lindby Linbar on my Lux. To answer a question from gnewman, the frames are the same but the crashbars(engine guard) are different between floorboard and forward control equipped bikes. The mounting holes for the floorboard bikes are just a tad farther forward.

Quick Reply: Engin guard on a fatboy pics? How much? Which one? Looks good?