Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Heritage, turn signal acting weird...what I found.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
JimInMich
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Heritage, turn signal acting weird...what I found.

Riding down the road and noticed my right turn signal indicater on the dash was on but not blinking. It would not turn off, even when I turned on the left blinker ( which worked ok ). When we stopped, I got off the bike to check it out and it was working fine. A bud riding with me said he noticed my head light blink a couple times. I get back on the bike and everything is working fine, then it doesn't work again. The next day in my garage, I get on the bike to maneuver it around so I have room to try and find the problem. Turn signal doesnt work, get off the bike and it works, so now i think I have it narrowed it down to the wiring harness under the seat. Manual stated right signal is a brown wire, to I open up the protective tubing where the wiring is run on top of the frame, under the seat. I find the brown wire and there are 2, both going into a factory shrink wrapped connection ( looked factory,as the right turn signal wires and a couple ground wire were also shrink wrapped connected as well ). I tried pressing hard in this area, but the right signal kept working. I figure this has got to be the problem area, so I cut out the shrink wrapped wires and solder in my own wire to replace it. I try the right signal, and it works. Replaced the seat, sit on it and it doesnt work again...WTF! So now I'm following the signal wiring harness back to the flasher, looks ok. I then reach behind the flasher, up into the rear fender and feel a mess wire wiring. I pull it down it this is what I found:

I see a couple wires that had been previously replaced ( and the idiot used bell wire ) and were once again frayed.There was another wire also frayed. Took the rear fender off and all of the wiring is good and tied up on the inside of the fender, except where this birds nest was. So a friend came over and we cut out the bad and solder in some new wires ( about 4" on each ). Tape them up real good and then I used plastic zip ties to make sure the wiring stays up out of the way of the tire and swiing arm. So far, everything has been working fine. You can see in the photo, where the tire had been rubbing against the connector.

I just had both tires replaced 2 days before. I figure when the service guy removed/re-installed the rear tire, he knocked the mess down ( who knows how well it was secured, judging by the other repare job was made ).

Last edited by JimInMich; 06-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
GWIZ2260
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that would have sucked riding at night and have the whole lighting system fail... glad you found your problem.