Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springer classic seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
ggold
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springer classic seat

looking for a seat for springer classic, I kind of like the look of the one from harley part # 51566-00a with the backrest, anyone have any input on the seat before I fork out the cash on this seat. Thanks

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 AM
pitbulldog
Road Captain
Default RE: springer classic seat

ggold-

I ride a 2005 Springer Classic and at about 7500 miles the seat became extremely uncomfortable after riding about 50 miles. Short breaks would not help, as soon as I got back on the bike, the discomfort was there again. I ordered a Mustang Wide Solo, tried it for a couple of days and sent it back. I did not care for the riding position (it moved me forward) or the braided trim which did not match the bags or tank panel. Next I ordered a Saddlemen Renegade after reading good reviews about it. I sent it back without putting it on the bike, in my opinion it did not "fit" the look of the Springer Classic. I was to the point of considering selling the bike if I could not resolve the seat issue. A friend sent me a post he saw on another web site regarding the '01-'03 H-D Heritage Springer seat. I ordered one with the low backrest pad. Including the seat the total cost was $550.00. I've had it on the bike for about 500 miles and am 100% satisfied. This seat is very comfortable and the pad on the rail gives great back support.

Sorry for the long post, I found the seat issue with my bike very frustrating. I hope my experiences can help someone else out.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: pitbulldog

ggold-

I ride a 2005 Springer Classic and at about 7500 miles the seat became extremely uncomfortable after riding about 50 miles. Short breaks would not help, as soon as I got back on the bike, the discomfort was there again. I ordered a Mustang Wide Solo, tried it for a couple of days and sent it back. I did not care for the riding position (it moved me forward) or the braided trim which did not match the bags or tank panel. Next I ordered a Saddlemen Renegade after reading good reviews about it. I sent it back without putting it on the bike, in my opinion it did not "fit" the look of the Springer Classic. I was to the point of considering selling the bike if I could not resolve the seat issue. A friend sent me a post he saw on another web site regarding the '01-'03 H-D Heritage Springer seat. I ordered one with the low backrest pad. Including the seat the total cost was $550.00. I've had it on the bike for about 500 miles and am 100% satisfied. This seat is very comfortable and the pad on the rail gives great back support.

Sorry for the long post, I found the seat issue with my bike very frustrating. I hope my experiences can help someone else out.

Yep, HS 03 Seat... Good Choice for me too..

Mike
NY

Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
mhendo
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

ggold -
I forked out the cash for an 03 Springer Classic seat to put on my 03 Heritage. I love it and it was worth it to me. You can see it in my sig pic. I also put the low backrest pad on it (not in pic), love that to.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Bluerose

Been thinking about that one too...tried it out on a used bike and liked the fit. My bags would still match too.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

mhendo please tell me how did you put a springer seat on a heritage!!!!
I have been wanting to do this for the longest time!!
They do not mount the same way do they???
Oh I think it would just finish my retro look

Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Been thinking about that one too...tried it out on a used bike and liked the fit. My bags would still match too.
You won't be sorry... trust me.. I have the Heritage Springer Bags as well and now I have a perfect match. The HS seat isn't as bucketed as the stock Deluxe seat and allows you to sit further back. The backret also does it's job much better than on the stock Deluxe seat.

Iordered it brand new from Chicago Harley.

Mike
NY

Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I have the small crosshatch pattern (stock for the '05 Springer Classic) on my tank panel, saddlebags and windshield bag. The large crosshatch pattern of the '01-'03 HS seat is a close enough match that it doesn't look out of place. At $550 new from H-D including low backpad it is somewhat pricey but I have no regrets whatsoever. The comfort and back support is superb! I would recommend this setup to anyone looking for a good retro looking seat with long distance comfort.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
mhendo
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

bikerbehaviorist -
It's not difficult at all. The seat mounts via the tongue on the front and the attached bracket on the back. You will need to drill two holes in your rear fender for the rear mount. The rear mount has a bracket with two bolts that you place under the fender and through the two holes you drill. When you drill you have to be careful that you don't drill through the wiring for the rear lights. What I did was, when you take the seat off there is a flap on the front of the rear fender, flip that down and you can move the wiring and then I placed a piece of wood under the fender. I measured about ten times and used four different drill bits to make the holes. Started small and worked up from there. The trick is you have to drill them at an angle and you will need to make one slightly larger to allow the bracket bolts to pass through due to the bracket being curved. I'll post some close-up pics this weekend for you.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Animal494
Cruiser

On a related note: Anyone know if a 01-03 FLSTS Heritage Springer Quick Detach Passenger Rail #53736-97 would fit on the quick detach mounts on a 05 Springer Classic or if it is compatible with a stock Deluxe pillion and rack? (I've got a deluxe seat on my FLSTSC)

Quick Reply: springer classic seat