Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy, used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 08:41 PM
GlockGuy
|
Road Master
Default Fatboy, used or new?

Ive been lurking around these forums for a while now, usually not logged in, but im getting closer to pulling the trigger on a HD. I may have already written a first timer posts along time ago, but real brief.... I rode a Honda CBRf4i for 5 years, sold it this winter. I had back surgery a few years ago (at the ripe old age of 22) and am now 25... cant stand not riding and want to get a Fatboy.

I originally wanted a FatBob but its just something about the fatboy. and i saw a fatbob in real life and it looks like a dual sport bike or something.

Anyway... I never really considered getting a brand new bike, i bought my other bike used, and have always heard buying anything new is a waste of money, etc. but after looking used, anything relatively new is $14k or more... which i would probably just go new if im paying that much.

I have found some 03 and 04's for 10k or 11k range, pretty low miles, but i read something about problems with bearings in 03 for fatboys, but couldnt find anything that really explains it, or what to check for.

My plan if buying new is to save up until december, hopefully have 3k or 4k in cash to put down, and hopefully get them down to 17k-18k otd (from what ive read on here thats the best i can hope for)

I have a couple used fatboys written down 2003-04, less than 10k miles, $12k and less.

So basically to recap:
If i was looking at used for the year/mileage range listed above:
1. what are should i check for?
2. Can anyone explain the bearing issue? (i read something about the name Timken in the bearing post i saw)
3. Would you just buy new, or go for the 08 newer range for $14K price range

Old 06-11-2012 | 08:47 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

imo
i would buy used, you can probably get almost a brand new fatboy for dirt cheap now
with $ you save you can do mods

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:03 PM
dakotared
Road Captain

Ask your dealer(s) about used, low mileage bikes with lots of options, perhaps repos w/ mods.

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:12 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Welcome to the boards, bro. Love your name... Just picked up a Beretta 40cal 2 days ago myself

I bought "pre-owned" .. It already had a bunch of mods to it.. Some of which i changed, but the BB Kit was there and thats what sold me..

FYI, a new Fatty woulda cost me at least $18K out the door, but Craigslist found me a 04 for $11K.. With at least $2K in mods! and this was 3 years ago... The models a little older (like mine) have carbs.. The newer have FI... Just a little more info if you like the "potato- lub-dub" sound when you add cams....

Came up from an R6 myself.. Still have her, but never ryde her.. Still kept it for those "moments."

Only found one Fatbob that could keep up with me.. Actually he smoked me, but that FatBob was lowered, stacked, and the dude was badass!!!

When i bought her

Now

Old 06-11-2012 | 11:01 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

I bought a new Fat Boy and haven't looked back. I figure I'll do mods when the 2 year warranty runs out.

Like you I was sold on the Fat Bob until I sat on the Fat Boy and it was more...me. It's a wonderful bike and a little pricey but I think it was worth it. (plus the ABS)

Old 06-12-2012 | 05:48 AM
GlockGuy
|
Road Master

thanks for the replies guys
yea yankee, my step dad has a beretta, its a really nice gun

Im leaning more toward buying used the more i think about it.

Any advice on what issues to look for if buying in the 03-04 years, or to spend a little extra to get in the 08 09 range?

Any yankee, i thought the FI started in 2003? what is this about potato lub dub sound and cams?
and o yea yankee, sweet bike man. Im wanting black as well

Old 06-12-2012 | 08:27 AM
Forge
Road Captain

FI was an option in 01 Fattys...In 07 they made FI stock setup. In 07 you also have the bigger engine and the 200 tire.

Old 06-12-2012 | 09:52 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

One + if you do decide to buy new you will get the bigger 103 CI motor.

Old 06-12-2012 | 10:03 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Lots of good used Fatboys out there. The right one will come along for a good price if you're patient.

Old 06-12-2012 | 10:59 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

No question buy used, get so much more for your money, get it inspected and check book values.

Quick Reply: Fatboy, used or new?