Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for Those Who Have Installed Heritage Springer Saddlebags on a Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
SUUIE
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for Those Who Have Installed Heritage Springer Saddlebags on a Deluxe

Did you need to buy the Saddlebag Bracket Relocation Kit (90238-00) as well? If so, did you have to buy 2, 1 for each side?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The saddlebag relocation kit is used when installing the HS saddlebags and the saddlebag guard. If you are not using the saddlebag guards, the thing you want are the stock HS front saddlebag mounts. They work with the quick disconnect sissy bar mounts as well. PM me if you need any close-up photos of the mounts etc.

BTW, as far as I know, the kit you referenced comes with two mounts (one for each side).

Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
SUUIE
Road Master

Thanks Dave! I am going to use the Saddlebag Guards as well so I'll get one of these kits.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Just as an FYI: If you use the HS bags and the "quick disconnect" mounts for the passenger backrest/solo rack, the saddle bag guards will contact the bags in a not so great way.

The QD mounts effectively move the saddle bags outward and the saddle bag guards stay in the same inward position creating interference between the outside front corner of the bags and the inside of the guards. Not an ideal state of affairs.

I think spacers could be made for the saddlebag guards where they mount at the top (on the fender struts just below the seat), and the lower mount could mount on the outside of the frame rather than the inside. This would effectively move the saddlebag guards an inch or so further outward to make them fit perfectly, but as of now, no such spacers exist.

H-D could have done better on this.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Just as an FYI: If you use the HS bags and the "quick disconnect" mounts for the passenger backrest/solo rack, the saddle bag guards will contact the bags in a not so great way.

The QD mounts effectively move the saddle bags outward and the saddle bag guards stay in the same inward position creating interference between the outside front corner of the bags and the inside of the guards. Not an ideal state of affairs.

I think spacers could be made for the saddlebag guards where they mount at the top (on the fender struts just below the seat), and the lower mount could mount on the outside of the frame rather than the inside. This would effectively move the saddlebag guards an inch or so further outward to make them fit perfectly, but as of now, no such spacers exist.

H-D could have done better on this.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks, will do. Everything is on order.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SUUIE

Thanks, will do. Everything is on order.
Awesome. can't wait to see them on your bike. They will look great!

I have the Samson S-470 (33" removable baffles and tips, fishtail true duals) on the way as we speak. I have some work to do this week too.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM
SUUIE
Road Master

I got the relocation kit and the guards on. Now, I just have to figure out how to mount the bags with all of my docking points. I'm wondering if Barebacks will work with my docking points.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Most of the Heritage Springer guys who have used the Barebacks have not been happy with them. They also push out the bags even further into the guards.

I recommend using chrome (or polished stainless steel) button head bolts in place of the stock saddlebag-holder bolts when the bags are off. It takes a few minutes per side to swap out the two bolts per side, but the end result is cleaner. If you swap back and forth very often (daily) this solution may suck a bit (it is a five minute deal) but I suspect you would not swap them out that often.

H-D (and the aftermarket) make saddlebag mount bolts that hold the docking points you have. I suspect you have those bolts already, but if not, they are not too expensive. YMMV.

If you plan to leave the bags on all the time, you can use longer button head bolts to hold the bags in, it just takes a bit of good aim to get it all lined up, but is a strong, simple and cheap solution.

Last edited by SprungDave; 07-02-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
SUUIE
Road Master

My main concern at this point is that because of all of my detachables that the 2 mounting points for the saddlebags aren't on the same plane.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Gotcha. The detachable kit you got came with the spacer for the rearmost saddlebag bolt, right? My detachable kit had one. If not, I can measure mine and that can get you that measurement so that you can acquire a spacer (or a stack of spacers). I know the saddlebag/spacer mount for the HS is kind of expensive if that was not the one you got, you may need the kit if you want it all H-D. Using off-the shelf spacers and bolting them in from the bag-side with button-head bolts will be a cheaper solution if it comes to that.

Let me know...

Quick Reply: ? for Those Who Have Installed Heritage Springer Saddlebags on a Deluxe