Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bars moved

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012 | 05:48 AM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master
Default Handle bars moved

So I'm cruising down a open road doing about 65 (Kinda racing and messing around with a fossil who thought he was a BadA$$ driving a new vette trying to impress his younger GF by out racing a motorcycle) when all of the sudden I hit a nasty bump, I hear a click sound and my Apes move back towards me. I wanna re adjust them as all I need is is a couple of Allen wrenches I think. I wonder if I should put some lock tight on the screws? These were installed by the HD shop. This ever happend to anyone else? (Ohh Yea, The vett ended up smoking me as after that bump I slowed right down, old Bastard..Lol..(-:

Old 06-10-2012 | 06:22 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

No to the lock tite. I always re-torque the bars after a little seat time if the top clamp has been removed to ensure they haven't backed off. They are torqued to a back then front sequence or the other way around depending on the bike. If they continue to slip, a thin layer or two sided tape on the bar knurls seems to work then torque and re-torque later, somewhere in the ballpark of 15 ft lbs, but check.

Old 06-10-2012 | 06:34 AM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXBadass
No to the lock tite. I always re-torque the bars after a little seat time if the top clamp has been removed to ensure they haven't backed off. They are torqued to a back then front sequence or the other way around depending on the bike. If they continue to slip, a thin layer or two sided tape on the bar knurls seems to work then torque and re-torque later, somewhere in the ballpark of 15 ft lbs, but check.
Ok, thanks for the info FX

Old 06-10-2012 | 06:54 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I use blue Loctite. On both stock bars and risers and now BR bars and Carlini risers.
Never had them move even after getting airborne hitting railroad crossings at too high a rate of speed.

Old 06-10-2012 | 07:09 AM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Kowan, so you put loctite on the knurls of the bars themselves and than on the bolts inside the risers also?

Old 06-10-2012 | 07:25 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

No Loctite on the knurling. Just a dab on the riser clamp bolts.
Since your bars moved, you might want to remove the top clamp and clean both the knurling and risers.
The knurling will act as heavy duty sand paper or filing and you more than likely have metal shavings that would keep the knurling from biting into the risers.

Talk a buddy into helping you hold the bars while you clean off any shaved metal pieces.

Old 06-10-2012 | 07:40 AM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kowan
No Loctite on the knurling. Just a dab on the riser clamp bolts.
Since your bars moved, you might want to remove the top clamp and clean both the knurling and risers.
The knurling will act as heavy duty sand paper or filing and you more than likely have metal shavings that would keep the knurling from biting into the risers.

Talk a buddy into helping you hold the bars while you clean off any shaved metal pieces.
Ok, got it! Thanks Kowan

Old 06-10-2012 | 09:53 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Anybody ever try some Loctite 620 Retaining Compound on bars? It's used to lock bearings, cylinders, etc. into housings.

Old 06-10-2012 | 11:18 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jd Swiper
So I'm cruising down a open road doing about 65 (Kinda racing and messing around with a fossil who thought he was a BadA$$ driving a new vette trying to impress his younger GF by out racing a motorcycle) when all of the sudden I hit a nasty bump, I hear a click sound and my Apes move back towards me. I wanna re adjust them as all I need is is a couple of Allen wrenches I think. I wonder if I should put some lock tight on the screws? These were installed by the HD shop. This ever happend to anyone else? (Ohh Yea, The vett ended up smoking me as after that bump I slowed right down, old Bastard..Lol..(-:
Same thing happened to me, on the interstate. I used blue loctite, haven't had a problem since. I can still move them if i have to

Old 06-10-2012 | 03:31 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pococj
Anybody ever try some Loctite 620 Retaining Compound on bars? It's used to lock bearings, cylinders, etc. into housings.
As a maintenance tech I would not recommend retaining compound to your bars.

Clean the knurls out and reinstall bars, some blue threadlocker on the bolts would not hurt. Nothing on the knurls, let them do there job. Your bars had more than likely began to loosen before you ever hit that bump. The bump just made you pull hard enough to move em.

Quick Reply: Handle bars moved