Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring solo seat on softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PoPo75
Man that kit is a little pricey. I think I'll try to fab something up.

rello2 I sent you a PM on that part.
Popo I made up a mount like you want, it is pretty easy to do.
I describe how to do it here on page 31.
http://www.aimag.com/forums/harley-m...bagger-31.html
I also have one of the mount kits that i bought on e-bay, for the 00+ that i am not using, I did not like it because it is so hard to take off and put on the stock seat. it has the battery cover. I would be willing to sell it reasonable.
E mail
Harley_cruiser@yahoo.com

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 10-07-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Rip, that is one bad lookin 'Bones. Love the flames on yours, PoPo.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
PoPo75
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an awesome write up. I just have to ask some questions.

It looks like you used/retained the stock seat "pivot" or slot or whatever it's called.

You didn't have to go with the weld on seat hinge?

Sorry to ask but do you have any pics of the seat actually mounted?

I think I could do this I just need a little more visual aid.

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Popo I made up a mount like you want, it is pretty easy to do.
I describe how to do it here on page 31.
http://www.aimag.com/forums/harley-m...bagger-31.html
I also have one of the mount kits that i bought on e-bay, for the 00+ that i am not using, I did not like it because it is so hard to take off and put on the stock seat. it has the battery cover. I would be willing to sell it reasonable.
E mail
Harley_cruiser@yahoo.com

Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Popo I am pretty sure there are some photos of the seat mounted someplace either before or after this page. I made a cover for the mount but never liked it.
This is the second one that I made because I have two different seats that I use.
I had bought a mount kit, and hated it took two hours to install and remove to put on another seat, or my stock seat.
This was years ago before all the solo seats were popular.
This mount is very simple, installs in two minutes. It slips over the stub where the bolts hold the seat on.
I put a Allen head bolt on both sides but you don’t even need those except to detour someone from stealing the seat.
Yea check on the next page it shows the seat mounted.
The square tubing is to mount the front pivot bolt through I did not have any round.
The front of the mount just catches the frame kind of like the stock seat does, the rear just goes over the bolt stud and the seat is on.
Normally I keep the battery and everything under the seat painted black, and in all honesty like the look, it has a raw look to it.
Plus I think it helps keep the battery cooler and oil tank cooler.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Here are a couple of different shots, with my older smaller seat.

Name:  seatbase009.jpg
Views: 5620
Size:  211.9 KB

Name:  seatbase006.jpg
Views: 4649
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  348207B4-orig.jpg
Views: 4659
Size:  175.9 KB

Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 PM
PoPo75
Cruiser

Thanks for the extra pics.

I noticed you mounted the springs a few inches further back than the rear "crossbar" that mounts to the frame.

Did you find that necessary for fitment? Or just comfort issues? My seat is pretty large. Im curious if I would need to do that too?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Pascal1340
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to go "solo" on my 199 Night Train.

The problem is, most of the kits are designed to fit the 2000 and later Softail models and the frame width is not the same.

The bracket that was shown above, to hide the fuse box in the rear fender, is also made by La Roas, you can find them on ebay.

You will need a battery cover, too, but it happens that both together dont fit very well !!!

I have to work that again. The goal is to install a Crime Scene Choppers "Bad ***" on the Night Train...

Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PoPo75
Thanks for the extra pics.

I noticed you mounted the springs a few inches further back than the rear "crossbar" that mounts to the frame.

Did you find that necessary for fitment? Or just comfort issues? My seat is pretty large. Im curious if I would need to do that too?
First make your cross brace, then the bar running up to the front, I welded mine together but you can overlap them and just bolt them together if you like, then weld on the front tubing to mount the front mount, and put on the seat.
I picked up a cheap mount on e-by for seven bucks or so, for that you can’t make one.
The mount on the front can move up or back where it is bolted to the front of the seat. I like my seat back a little farther because I have longer legs, you might be able to move your seat far enough forward to just drill holes in the cross brace to bolt on the springs.
Anyway once you get the seat just sitting there decide if you need to extend back past the rear cross brace.
Block it up with some wood and sit on it.
I added about two inches to go back, then to brace it so it does not bend down I added a short piece of flat 1/8x 1” that runs down and just rest on the frame of the bike. It sits in a little valley and I ground it to length/fit.
I have two different seats that I run, my everyday seat and a little better that I save for rides.
They both fit differently because of the size and how thick they are so you need to adjust the mount to suite the seat.
One has two inch springs the other has three with a half inch spacer under the springs.
You can pick up the 1/8x one inch flat bar at any Ace, or Lowes, you need at least three/four feet.
If you need any help with anything, let me know, will be glad to help in anyway that I can.
I am not the worlds best welder but get by.
Oh yea i love my solo seat, it is a little hard to get used to, you feel like you are sitting up real high at first, like you are riding a old classic bike.
But once you get used to it, the ride is so smooth, you will never go back.
and with this mount you can change our your seat in just minutes.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
PoPo75
Cruiser

Thanks for the help Harleycruiser. As soon as I get started I will start posting pics.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM
DocRed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my spring solo seat I did for my 2012 FXS.

Quick Reply: Spring solo seat on softail