Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Front End

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 AM
blackbirdxx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Front End

Is it as strong or sturdy as a standard fork? Why does Harley only put a single piston brake on the front? Does it have braking issues?

Thanks all you springers out there...I'm thinking of dumping my 07 Deluxe for an 07 Springer...but I am going to take it in the shorts!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 AM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Springer Front End

I cant really say whether or not its stronger ornot but I love mine and the single piston cal.is a little different because of the way the front end compresses but after market shocktakes care of that I love the way that front end looks and handles considering its a springer one thing is no fork oil to worry about no seals no extra cost!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 AM
darkside
Banned

I,ve heard that Springers can actually bend if you install too much braking force IE .aftermarket double disc type sytems. I,m on my second Springer and have never had a problem with them.Just some simple maintenance like Rocker adj. and steering head torgue specs.I love my springer and wouldn't want anything else.Only drawback was the factory shock.First thing I did to the bike was change that and they ride awesome.For what it's worth with the factory brakes it will lock the front tire if you really grab a handfull ,so I don't know why you would want to add more braking anyhow.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havn't noticed any deflection in the forks on mine and the ride to me is better than the tube front on my old bike. Like darkside said there are different maintenance issues with the front end but I would never trade mine for a tube front. My .02

Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

The only thing I wish I could change is the Black Brake on the front to chrome. There are after market chrome Brakes. I have not changed the front shock, but was hoping to get some details on what kind of difference the other felt. Just like everyone else, I LOVE MY SPRINGER!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Many of H-D models sport a single disc, one disc will lock the front wheel. The one thing is with a springer, I would rate the maintenance and adjustment a little higher on the scale than simple. Make sure your get a manual if you plan on doing the maintenance of the springer yourself. You will need a dial or beam type torque wrench, you can't do it with a clicker type. Good luck, love the springer front end!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually want to ride one to see for myself.. I had an old guy on a Springer Classic tell me his 2 cents: "Once you go springer, you'll have a hard time going back".. He said his classic rode like a cadillac. Got another friend with a FX springer, who's equally crazy about it. I can picture the ride being quite different in the front end. Handling might be a different story but I've seen my friend's standard springer leave the pack pretty easy in the twisties, so don't know how much of that is great handling and how much is just a very good rider that's in control of his bike. I actually considered a springer classic.. To me it's as retro as you can get with a Heritage.. A tricked out low-slung heritage springer with fishtails.. That would be very cool! My only criticism in customizing would be the front fender is stationary while the wheel moves, so it would be really difficult to mount a fender that hugged the tire, if possible at all on a relatively stock front end.. It would have to mount completely differently to the forks.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
bone2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all have harley davidsons here. Why do we like them?
Part is do to the sheer weight of them. This weight gives us stability. A body in motion stays in motion. the hevier that object the more intent it is on staying in motion in that direction. That's where the stability comes from. Thats why no amount of technology can make a small car ride like a big one.
Springer front ends, beside being aestheticlyand mechanically pleasing,
are heavy. More weight might seem a bit cumbersome compared to tubes but they are definatly much more stable. You know that feeling goingthrough a turn and hitting a pothole or rock. The front end can get thrown around quite a bit. The weight of the springer front end reduces this effect a great deal.
I love the weight of my front end.
Good old American Milwalkee Steel baby!!!

George

06 Springer Classic!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

I've never heard of a springer owner with any regrets. I love mine.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Actually Babs, you can get the front fender tighter to the wheel. A guy up in NorCal area cut the rivets out and then two inches of side support (from inside the fender) then welded it back up without rivets showing. It lowered the fender to about an inch off the tire and it rides fine. The springer front end actually moves while the fender stays even with the wheel. I am in the process of doing the same thing with a spare fender that I have that will be part of a custom "old School" tank and paint job in the future.

Quick Reply: Springer Front End