Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stability on bikes with 21" front tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stability on bikes with 21" front tire

I personally do not have any issues with turning at high speeds in fact I enjoy my FXSTS it has a 200 rear. I will admit it seems a little touchy or hard to maintain a tight line through turns, but that is in group rides. Solo on twisties, it is the bomb 60-90!!! I would think that the heavier forks should make it somewhat simpler? How long have you been riding Harley's? Maybe coming from a sport bike you are just noting the difference? It is like breaking in new boots... You notice every little thing... after a few days they are comfortable!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: baitrunner

[align=left]two factors are causing what you're experiencing....[/align][align=left]1. rake (the longer the rake, the more difficult it is to turn)[/align][align=left]2. handlebars (tight (narrow) drag bars require more force to turn)[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]i think what you've described is normal. remember, to turn at speed push the handlebar in the direction you wish to turn. you don't have to lean more, just push more![/align]
Great point baitrunner,a lot less leverage with the drag bars and it takes more effort.The only reason I'm keeping mine is they look perfect on a Nightrain.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: NW FXSTS

I personally do not have any issues with turning at high speeds in fact I enjoy my FXSTS it has a 200 rear. I will admit it seems a little touchy or hard to maintain a tight line through turns, but that is in group rides. Solo on twisties, it is the bomb 60-90!!! I would think that the heavier forks should make it somewhat simpler? How long have you been riding Harley's? Maybe coming from a sport bike you are just noting the difference? It is like breaking in new boots... You notice every little thing... after a few days they are comfortable!!!
That's like saying fat girls are great in bed....Hey if you don't mind all the wobblingwhen things are fast 'n furious then what the hell.... [8D]

Everything's relative.... I knew my softail would handle like a pig compared to a lot of other bikes.I know I could push it but see no reason,I've spent enough time,and taken enough chances flying around corners,I was ready for a different sort of ride.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

No issues with my Deuce. Actually tracks and handles very well. But I do keep pressure pretty close. I believe the only difference, as some have suggested, would be the Nightrain Beach Bars...

Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a tubeless tire it would lose air at the spoke
holes.
ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: Crazy Canuck
Change your front tire to a radial tire. Sure you'll have
to change from spokes to an aluminium rim. But there's
a big difference in handling. More stable all around.
Why do you have to change the rims to useradial tires?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

No issues with my Deuce. Actually tracks and handles very well. But I do keep pressure pretty close. I believe the only difference, as some have suggested, would be the Nightrain Beach Bars...
I'm sure all the Softails handle well enough,but their handling definitely isn't optimal compared to (for instance) a SuperGlide.In any case I think the 21 inch front tire is nowhere near the top of the list for reasons why...

Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
jackhammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my bike through just about every road condition you could ask for, down pours, hours on end on gravel roads, mud coated construction, blasted rock (not fun), washboard and pot hole hell, pit run (small rounded boulders packed with dirt) mountain twisties and prairiestraights with heavy side winds. I have no problem with the 21"er seems solid to me. I think it boils down to what your used to previously until you get used to your current ride and adjusting your riding style to the road conditions, speed and the style of your bike. Lets face it our harleys are no race rockets.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

holes.

Want to make sure we're giving complete facts here. I don't think the tire is a problem, but if you change to a radial on the front you should (MUST?) change the rear to a radial as well. It is never recommended on any two or four wheel vehicle to mix bias and radial tires. This means going to a front radial will require front and rear tires and a new front rim.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a classic to the custom, there is a difference, esp. with the 21" and the 200 rear. Classic was a road hugger, till you scraped something. Just takes a little getting used to.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point nine11c2. The rear is a radial from the dealer. But they put a bias in the front. I just don't get that. I guess it's all about the after market...
ORIGINAL: nine11c2

holes.

Want to make sure we're giving complete facts here. I don't think the tire is a problem, but if you change to a radial on the front you should (MUST?) change the rear to a radial as well. It is never recommended on any two or four wheel vehicle to mix bias and radial tires. This means going to a front radial will require front and rear tires and a new front rim.

Quick Reply: Stability on bikes with 21" front tire