Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what am i hearing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Default what am i hearing??

I set my timing ahead until i got my ping back. Sounds like a quarter hit on glass, rock hitting fender, hammer on metal.... something loud and distinct. Backed timing off, and at around the same rpm level I'm getting a rapid noise that still kinda sounds like tiny little pebbles hitting the fender. It's a very rapid noise, and only happens at certain rpms/throttle positions. Is this still pre-ignition of some sort or is it just normal engine noise. Like I said, It's not a loud, distinct ping.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

your still too high on the timing, or you are running a little lean ..
either way fix it ...spark knock is hard on engines

Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like spark knock, rattle and ping, you need to fix it or if you keep riding it it will force you to fix it by breaking

Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

GRRRRRR!!! I'm about to loose it. I thought I finally had this problem fixed. I'm not even sure what to try anymore. I've set my timing back 'till the bike ran like ****, i've added octane boost, I did a cam swap and dropped my ccp by 20psi, I tried seafoam to clean out the carbon, plus ran cleaner with the fuel, i've run a rich afr, my plugs look perfect, what else do i do?

On the plus side, the bike pulls strong, great power, no dead spots, so maybe I just ride it until the piston breaks.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably a rattle. I have the same thing at about 2500 and 2780 RPM. It isn't knock, it happens under a no-load condition. Besides, the ECM will adjust the spark tables if it sees knock enough in one area of the map. I've seen it pull several degrees on its own where I had a real lean condition in a few cells. I think I've checked every nut a bolt on the bike and can't come up with anything. I swear it is an exhaust heat shield rattle/buzz. I may have to loosen them all up, adjust and tighten again. I just stay off those two particular RPMs for now.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you had anyone else ride it to hear the noise? Just a thought is to have someone ride it and see if they hear it. Sometimes we pick up on somethings that are there and key in on them so much they sound a lot worse than they are.....one more thought have you removed the tuner and just run it on the stock ECM and see how it goes? does the noise go away?

Last edited by Blk and Chrome; 06-03-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Have you had anyone else ride it to hear the noise? Just a thought is to have someone ride it and see if they hear it. Sometimes we pick up on somethings that are there and key in on them so much they sound a lot worse than they are.....one more thought have you removed the tuner and just run it on the stock ECM and see how it goes? does the noise go away?
yeah, the guy that helped me put the cams in took it out for a ride. He said he tried and couldn't make it ping. Not that I don't trust him, but he's, well, lets say getting up in years and doesn't hear as well as he used to. But, that being said, I'm thinking that's a possibility. I'm scared I'm just focusing in on it to much, and god knows what I'm hearing. I'll not wast my time at the dealer because all they ever say is that they can't hear anything, or "every harley does that". They're probably right, lol. And yeah, no tuner, tuner, makes no difference.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

You know what? I'm going out for a ride today, and since timing doesn't seem to change anything at all, I'm putting it back up to normal instead of retarding it everywhere, I'm gonna put on my tunes, and I'm gonna forget about it. It's not putting metal flakes on the plugs so I'm pretty sure it's not blowing holes in my pistons. If the bike blows up, I'll rebuild it. Maybe even go a little bigger

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Probably a rattle. I have the same thing at about 2500 and 2780 RPM. It isn't knock, it happens under a no-load condition. Besides, the ECM will adjust the spark tables if it sees knock enough in one area of the map. I've seen it pull several degrees on its own where I had a real lean condition in a few cells. I think I've checked every nut a bolt on the bike and can't come up with anything. I swear it is an exhaust heat shield rattle/buzz. I may have to loosen them all up, adjust and tighten again. I just stay off those two particular RPMs for now.
I had a similar issue in a car I owned years ago. Dove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor. Turned out to be a loose AC bracket. When it rattled it sounded just like a spark knock.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

At times I get what I call a Bongo drum sound from the motor, just a steady real fast beat, used to hear it when I first got the bike.

Like above said, sometimes when we listen for a noise we hear it a lot more.

I quite listening for it and now I don't hear it any more..

Thinking,,,When we get focused in on something, we can make it worse than it really is sometimes.

Add.... I just remembered that some tourning bikes back in 07 had what they called rocks rattleing in a can noise at lower rpm and under load.. but it was usually a loose compensator.. lot of members put in the SE comp to help also..

But Ur new 12 bike comes with the SE comp.. but it might still be loose...

Last edited by oct1949; 06-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: what am i hearing??