Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Swingarm Bag Fit With Deluxe Saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
cmhitman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Swingarm Bag Fit With Deluxe Saddlebags?

I just bought a 2012 Softail Deluxe. For short trips around town, I am using the HD swingarm bag which is perfect in most cases. However on the occasional longer rides, I am considering more storage options including the HD saddlebags for the Deluxe. It looks like they might fit on the bike without having to remove the swingarm bag, but I can't tell and the local shops don't seem to have them on any bikes for me to test out. Anyone know if they will all fit at once. It isn't a storage issue, but I'd like to keep the swingarm bag on at all times to avoid the hassle of the bag/essential gear swap.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt it, and how would you open it.

I'd get bigger bags than the deluxe ones

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kozy22
I doubt it, and how would you open it.

I'd get bigger bags than the deluxe ones
Good point. I have the deluxe bags and dont think that it will work.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It won't work. I have a buddy that has a swing arm bag. I put my Deluxe bags on one day and went over his house to see if it would work. It won't and like the one Dude said, how ya gonna open it?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
HogDeluxe
Former Sponsor

It won't work. The swing arm travels too much

Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM
jrickstir
Novice

Well guys I have that set up..HD swingarm bag and Deluxe bags detachable (bare backs) just put the swingarm bag on last week and normally don't run with the saddle bags. Just went to garage after seeing this post and put the Deluxe bag on no problem. Can't totally get swingarm bag open but it will fit and can access contents.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrickstir
Well guys I have that set up..HD swingarm bag and Deluxe bags detachable (bare backs) just put the swingarm bag on last week and normally don't run with the saddle bags. Just went to garage after seeing this post and put the Deluxe bag on no problem. Can't totally get swingarm bag open but it will fit and can access contents.
So, it doesn't hinder the swingarm travel at all? How tight is the clearance when you actually sit on the bike?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
jrickstir
Novice

No don't see any where I would have any issues with swingarm movement..sitting on bike looks about a 1/2" clearance, but I'm not a big guy 160..5 with boots on. If I can figure out posting pictures I'll take couple..also could be because bags are detachable and set up and stick out a little

Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I don't see the point? My Deluxe's bags are freaking TINY! Don't get them. Get some real sized removable bags and you're done! I'd kill for bigger bags. I have a swing arm bag on my Lo and it's GREAT. I wouldn't get the HD version though. It's got a plastic backing. Get the Garage Leathers one.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM
cmhitman
6th Gear

Thanks jrickster. It looked like it would work, and it is good to get confirmation. I will typically run with the swingarm bag solo as I don't need any more cargo space than that, but it would be nice to have the extra room saddlebags will provide.

That said, I went to look at the Deluxe bags in person today and I agree that they are very small. In a perfect world, the swingarm bag would be a quick disconnect (rather than the snap ons), and I would have larger detachable bags. Not sure what to do because I don't care for the style of most of the bags that will work. I'd love to get some RK hardbags on the bike if they were easily detachable, but from what I have been reading, the way people mount them is by using Cyclevisions baggers which are bolted on.

The compromise might have to be swingarm for daily riding, deluxe bags + swingarm for when I need to carry a few extras (change of clothes, warmer gear for when the sun goes down), and a sissy bar mounted bag/pack for longer trips. $$$ just adds up that way though. I searched the forums, but if anyone knows of a clean way to mount something like the RK bags in a detachable manner to the Deluxe, I'd be all ears.

Quick Reply: HD Swingarm Bag Fit With Deluxe Saddlebags?