Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTBI wont start after coil relocation and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FXSTBI wont start after coil relocation and other mods

Got a 2006 night train.

Mods that might be affecting the bike from starting.

Installed gripace system - problem free, all functions work like they should. Instsalled like the instructions state.

relocated coil to where horn was. All I did was extend the 4 wires going to the rear of the coil to reach the new location and mount.

What about ground fore the coil? I removed the seat post that the coil was originally installed on. I figured the post grounded the coil so I hooked a wire to each bolt and then then a wire to a ground on the frame. Temporarily until I can get it started, then neating it all up.

The gripace system instructions ask to hard wire the run/stop wires together, i opted to install a physical hidden toggle switch instead of the ignition and fuel pump turning on every time I turn the **** on the tank. I wanted them seperate.

Now that I have put that tank back on and hooked up the wires into the conenctors and what not, it will turn over and there is fuel, air and spark, but will not start and run.

Im really frustrated and concerned at this point.

Is there something i needed to do with the gas tank when hooking it back up? Purge the line or anything? All i did was hook the quick disconnect fuel line on the coil side back on and put fuel in it.

Help on this matter would be awesome as Im at a stand still until it fires and stays running.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it could be any number of things, and nnot to get away from your particular issue, but you shouldnt need those ground wires you put to the bolts on the coil you relocated. Just saying. I'd check the grip ace wiring first and fore most. And throw up some pics, did you cut yoru own grips or use supplied ones?

Last edited by suiii15; 05-22-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Brutus01
Road Captain

I know I'm not be the best to answer but are you sure that you have the correct ignition wires running to the correct cylinders? Did you reverse them on accident?

Last edited by Brutus01; 05-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it turn over and just not start? Are you sure that it is getting fuel? I know that one time when mine wouldn't start it ended up being the quick disconnect not being seated correctly and not allowing fuel to go through.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by suiii15
Sounds like it could be any number of things, and nnot to get away from your particular issue, but you shouldnt need those ground wires you put to the bolts on the coil you relocated. Just saying. I'd check the grip ace wiring first and fore most. And throw up some pics, did you cut yoru own grips or use supplied ones?
The gripace should not be the issue as it does not tie into any wires that deal with the coil. All the functions of the gripace system work no problem. I didnt think I needed the ground wires, but just in case. Ill gladly take them off once I get it started and know they are not needed.

Originally Posted by Brutus01
I know I'm not be the best to answer but are you sure that you have the correct ignition wires running to the correct cylinders? Did you reverse them on accident?
100% positive they are on the correct cyclinders. The four wires that run to the rear of the coil are my main concern right now.

Originally Posted by Ash16
Does it turn over and just not start? Are you sure that it is getting fuel? I know that one time when mine wouldn't start it ended up being the quick disconnect not being seated correctly and not allowing fuel to go through.
Turns over but no starting. Getting fuel for sure. plugs are wet. fuel pump turns on and then stops after a few seconds like it did before I did any work to it. Could you explain that to me a little more about the QD. Its in there good, its getting fuel cuz I smell it. Just seems like its not getting "enough" spark.

appreciate the responses. Going to see if the battery is the issue. Read that the battery needs to be fully charged to supply sufficient power to the ECM and the rest of the bike including enough juice for the starter.

Im hopin its a simple fix, cuz ive spent too much time and $s messing with this. These mods have made me not want to work on my bike again.

Last edited by jcallesano; 05-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM
suiii15
Road Captain

Odd set of circumstances to be sure. I'm stumped sorry. Didnt have a single issue with mine.

Last edited by suiii15; 05-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

Rub it in why dont ya.

The only thing I did was extend the 4 wires that plug into the rear of the coil, didnt touch anything else.

My coil is in the same spot just with it rotated 180.

So im stumped as well. And its too purdy of a bike to be sitting and collecting dust.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM
suiii15
Road Captain

I agree with it being too attractive to be sitting.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coil is in the same spot just with it rotated 180.

Make sure the wire coming from the coil in the forward most position is to the rear cylinder opposite of what Suiii has.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

Here is my coil, but its not bolted on right now as im trouble shooting that area :/

Attached Thumbnails FXSTBI wont start after coil relocation and other mods-imag1453.jpg  

Quick Reply: FXSTBI wont start after coil relocation and other mods