Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throw over vs quick release bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw over vs quick release bags

I'm looking at getting a set of bags for my new 2012 Deluxe, trying to decide between throw over bags and quick release bags. I don't think I'd want them on all the time and not a big fan of changing the look of the bike permanently so I'm leaning towards throw over bags under the passenger seat. Not sure how that would work so looking for advice from more experienced people on the matter.

Thanks guys/gals

Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by redmosquito1
I'm looking at getting a set of bags for my new 2012 Deluxe, trying to decide between throw over bags and quick release bags. I don't think I'd want them on all the time and not a big fan of changing the look of the bike permanently so I'm leaning towards throw over bags under the passenger seat. Not sure how that would work so looking for advice from more experienced people on the matter.

Thanks guys/gals
I have the largest Boss Bags you can get that are demountable plus I have a demountable sissy bar/luggage rack and a sundowner seat. (I built a convertible before they were a 'model' from HD). I have thought about throw overs because my bags stick out so far they may as well be on a bagger (plus I have a 200 rear tire).

When I travel, my bags are full.

When I run around on day trips they are sometimes full (weather preparedness).

Throw overs would mar my paint and fender supports, I'm pretty sure.

It would be inconvenient to try to use both. The demountable hardware has to get bolted on through the fender supports. For demountable hardware you may have to use a relocation kit for your rear turn signals.

It's a looks vs. true functionality issue I think.

C#

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 AM
harleyquest
Advanced

I'm considering throwover fatboy bags with zipped yoke for my fatboy lo. I think I'll be sure to get these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

To help with any potential rubbing issues and to keeps the bags away from the discs. I'll be getting them in gloss black.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Had thrower over bags with zipper yoke and standoffs like you showed. They still rubbed on the swing arm and move around some. With the bags removed, those brackets looked lame on the bike. Replaced them with larger Leather Works bags and ez detach brackets. Much better imo.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even though I have a sporty. I bought throw over bags thinking I'd take them off from time to time. well it's been a year now and the only time I remove them is when I'm doing battery work or something that requires them out of the way.(because they are throwover and the connection blocks access to my fuse panel and I have to remove the seat)

So think about it long and hard if your actually going to be removing them. then just pick the type you like. instal it and forget about it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done throw over bags on a previous bike I would personally never use them again due to the fact of rubbing on paint. No matter what you do there will be some dulling o paint somewhere, and when the day comes to sell the bike or change the look and remove the bags, something will have to be done to fix/cover the marred areas

Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Deadanimal
Tourer

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
Having done throw over bags on a previous bike I would personally never use them again due to the fact of rubbing on paint. No matter what you do there will be some dulling o paint somewhere, and when the day comes to sell the bike or change the look and remove the bags, something will have to be done to fix/cover the marred areas
Don't sell the bike!
I hate getting rid of things! I still have all my same cars/trucks except for one and my second bike since the first one was a beater to learn on.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm looking into getting quick release bags now. I really like the leather works Deluxe bags since they match the seats but man are they pricey.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Just getting my 5th post to see some pics

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Only have my throw-overs on to take trips. Use a backpack tied to my sissy bar for daily use.

Quick Reply: Throw over vs quick release bags