Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe buffeting cured!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Deluxe47
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe buffeting cured!

I've had my Deluxe for about 6 months (my first harley) and slowly getting it figured out. I started with a full face helmet as it was january when I bought it and I was dying to ride. This helmet always had horrible buffetting and when it warmed up I went to a half helmet which was fine until last week.

I got a new leather jacket and for some reason it changed the airflow and I was getting horrible buffetting again, but now with my half helmet.

I did a little search on here and ended up getting a set of "fangs" to go with my quick detach widshield.

I also read that if your headlight is out of alignment that could cause isssues as well.

Well after 10 minutes worth of work, I found my windshield wasn't pushed all the way on, and my headlight was canted to the left. I also installed the "fangs".

What a difference! Its so smooth now. I can do 80mph easily and feel a bubble of dead air in front of my face, where it used to blow bugs and rocks up under my sunglasses and it my eyes!

This is the best mod I have done to date and relativey cheap.

Hope this helps others that might have a problem.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could have fixed this buffeting problem long ago by loosing the helmet, windshield and leather jacket. You are riding a bike, why would you want a bubble of dead air in your face.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior

Any pics of the "fangs"?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Deluxe47
Novice

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
You could have fixed this buffeting problem long ago by loosing the helmet, windshield and leather jacket. You are riding a bike, why would you want a bubble of dead air in your face.
Yeah sorry, I have a wife and kids that depend on me, being a bad-*** is secondary to providing for my family. Thanks for the input though.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Deluxe47
Novice

Originally Posted by BB06FLHX
Any pics of the "fangs"?
I'll get a picture up tomorrow!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deluxe47
Yeah sorry, I have a wife and kids that depend on me, being a bad-*** is secondary to providing for my family. Thanks for the input though.
Wow, what a coincidence. I have a wife and kids also and your welcome for the input. Still not sure how not having a windshield, leather jacket or helmet portrays a bad *** though.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 PM
justguth
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed.......lol

Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
ILLEGAL REGAL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoulda bought a goldwing?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Sometimes I wonder the same as I see people in warm weather all dressed up in leather fullface helmets windshield, it seems if you are that worried about injury you should drive a car with a helmet and protective clothing, that should save your butt in a wreck

Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Sometimes I wonder the same as I see people in warm weather all dressed up in leather fullface helmets windshield, it seems if you are that worried about injury you should drive a car with a helmet and protective clothing, that should save your butt in a wreck
This is my feeling. You actually have more freedom in a convertible with the top down! I absolutely hate cold mornings when I have to put the shield on, heavy leather jacket, helmet, winter gloves, heavy boots. It's damn near not worth it. I just refuse to dress up in full garb when it's warm out (half helm - maybe). If you're that scared of an accident, you might just be happier in a car with the top down.

Quick Reply: Deluxe buffeting cured!