Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe handlebars on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe handlebars on a Heritage

I'm preparing to install a 2012 Deluxe handlebar and riser onto my 2012 Heritage because of the look and feel of the Deluxe bars. I did a search and it appears to be a common swap mostly Heritage mini ape bars onto a Deluxe. One question that remained unanswered concerned the brake line and other cables. When going from the taller Heritage bars to the lower Deluxe bars will my existing cables and brake line work? I'm comfortable with some excess cable or line showing but against paying my dealership crazy coin to order custom cables. Does anybody have the definitive answer? Thank you in advance.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have the stock cables from my 08 Heritage and the wife's 08 Deluxe but comparing them wouldn't give you anything definitive because they changed the Heritage bars in 10 I believe.

Have you considered going with stainless cables. No better time than when you have the bars off. Then you could just get stock length Deluxe cables. I think my set of Magnum Chromite IIs were about $270 shipped.

Hope you like the Deluxe bars. Wife and I like the cruiser style bars too. But we also needed more pullback so we both have Wild1 518s.

Just thought of something. Would it be any help for me to measure my wife's 08 Deluxe cables? I don't think they changed the Deluxe bars since then so that should tell you how much difference there is between your existing Heritage and those. Let me know and I'll dig them out.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 05-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate

Thanks for responding, I think the cables are going to be fine it's the brake line I'm most concerned about. Perhaps you could measure your old brake line for me. As for the SS cables I'm in agreement with you but before I order them I want to make sure I'm totally in love with the Deluxe bars before I commit the cash. Also, we have a big trip coming up in two week's so I'd like to get the Deluxe bars on before we leave.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I put deluxe risers only on my '08 heritage years ago, and bought new cables. Well, my cables were a bit too long, and I ended up routing the throttle cables up under the tank, higher than the way they were from the factory, which used up some of the extra length, and I also was able to reroute the clutch and brake cables, to use up some extra length also. After a wreck, I used the insurance money to replace the cables, so I can't remember the specifics too well, but I do remember that I was able to use up 2" or so of extra length, by some studying and rerouting, and it looked really good. So, I'd say, if you don't want to buy new cables, you won't have any problem...

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
tryus
Road Captain

Thinking more about it, I wanna say that I moved the cable clamp that's under the triple tree, to another location, in FRONT of the tree, at the lower end, which used up the extra length. Maybe, but I DO know that the brake cable was a good bit too long, and I was able to make it look good...hope that gives you the confidence to go ahead with the mod, even this close to your trip...

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Dphillip
Intermediate

Thanks Tryus for the positive reinforcement, I know there's a lot less wiggle room on that brake line but I'm hopeful this all works out when I roll into the dealership next week.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The brake line for the 08 Deluxe is 38.5" from beginning of connector to beginning of connector. In other words the black plastic part. The part number for the line is 42314-08. If you need anything else give me a shout.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
tryus
Road Captain

Dealership? You're going to the dealer for risers? I'm out...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

It'll work.
I came within inches of doing that. I bought a set of bars & risers off ebay.
I changed my mind and ran the Chubbys. But I had the Deluxe risers at 1st.
That wasn't so good so I got the Chubby risers too.

I've said this before and I 'll say it again. I shoulda just kept my DWG mini apes on there. Woulda saved hundreds of dollars in handlebars and Tylenol.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Dphillip
Intermediate

byersmtrco, please explain? What didn't you Locke about the swap, you might save me the same grief?

jimmers1817, thanks for the info I'll se what I have now.

Yes taking it to the dealership, the bike has only 1000 miles on it so I don't want to screw it up.

Quick Reply: Deluxe handlebars on a Heritage