Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sampson tail pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honkylips
***hijack alert***

Samson_tech ...... i have a set of Samson Rip Saw pipes on my '02 Fatboy. I need a new set of tips for the pipes (ground the old tips down on corners and am now scraping the actual pipes). Do you guys sell just the tips? If so, how much? Feel free to PM, or email (pojensen@me.com). THANKS!
Rip-Saws have tips?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My left pipe on my 33 fishtails also seems to move more than the left. Seems like it just flexes more up where the tail pipe slides onto the header pipe. Checked clamps and bolts....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have an older set of our Big Gun II pipes. We may still have some tips in stock but I work from home a lot. Please give us a call to check stock on those tips. 888-5-SAMSON
Thank you,
JR

Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
My left pipe on my 33 fishtails also seems to move more than the left. Seems like it just flexes more up where the tail pipe slides onto the header pipe. Checked clamps and bolts....
The mounting should be very solid on both sides. If there is any type of misalignment loosen them up and make the adjustment to make sure both sides are level and square to each other.
Thank you,
JR

Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for lil bit of a hijack, but since JR is lurking around...

JR...

Finally got the pipes on. Must say I frikin dig them, not so much the looks but the sound as many here know rocks! Just need to get a final dyno tune from last years engine upgrades to smooth out some crackle pops and starting from zero. FYI we did 3 dyno runs concerning TQ cones & baffles. Turns out that TQ alone was best performance.

I still need some simple exhaust tips. I called Samson and the girl said the billets are not available. No biggy, going to get some aluminum tips machined for a better match.

Regarding OP, my pipes are solid. A little bit of vibration due to the snorts and grunts...but should still keep an eye on loose bolts.

Here are the pipes on my Lo. Still a bunch more mods incoming.

Thanx JR for getting me set up. Great service!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Just curious, but how do those pipes do performance wise? Sorry for the dual hijack, but I have asked elsewhere, and no response. I know that longer drag pipes are better for exhaust reversion, so I am wondering if they really are a performance boost. Course, I would never run pipes hanging of the back of my scooter like that. Now, if they were upswept....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

everything is square and tight on the pipes,, at an idle the left side moves and the right side dont...

Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine were moving quite a bit and they were uneven until I took a look at the mounting bolts for the bracket and the clamp. The clamp needed to be moved back and the mounting bolts for the bracket had loosened due to the excessive movement. When the bracket was loose I pulled up on the rear of the muffler to make the pipe even with the other side and moved the clamp so it was right at the edge of the muffler/head pipe joint. I tightened the clamp down and then held the muffler up as I tightened the mounting bracket again. It has been perfect ever since which was at least 3 months ago. Yes, I ride the bike every day.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strechman...

If you were asking me. I don't ride them slammed as seen in pic...I ride them about half way down with shotgun shock. Performance...JR knows the physics concerning back pressure, velocity, etc... My VH's big radius I found out compares to the pipes with little difference. Mechanic said only a few TQ or HP maybe...but when you stack each little increase adds up IMO. Also consider engine set up...mine is built for low end TQ and maybe why the TQ cones helped the most. We saw a difference of 8 to 10 in all combo runs.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Samson tech; can you share the part numbers for the mufflers and the brackets that would be used with an 08 Heritage with V&H header pipes?
TIA

Quick Reply: sampson tail pipes