Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rode a Couple of Touring Bikes -- Glad I Have A Heritage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012 | 07:38 PM
MikeZ
|
Road Captain
Default Test Rode a Couple of Touring Bikes -- Glad I Have A Heritage!

Inspired by the recent article in HOG ("Glide vs. Glide"), I test rode both a new Street Glide and Road Glide Custom to see what I've been missing. Here's my short take for those of you who may wonder if the grass is greener on the other side from a Softail rider's perspective. . .

I will start by saying that now I truly understand what people mean about sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" it. I felt as if I was riding a horse on the Glides, and the mid controls felt awkward and cramped compared to the Heritage, which is odd since most tall guys (which I am not) gravitate toward the touring line. The higher center of gravity is a significant difference. Speaking of ergos, I also didn't like the stock handlebars -- I needed to lean forward too much -- and I didn't feel "planted" in the saddle. Also, the rubber-mounted A engine on the Glides shake like a Dyna at idle. Of course, at higher speeds, the touring bikes smooth out nicely, but where I live, I am stuck in traffic often (even on the Interstate), and the shake, rattle and roll gets old fast.

In fairness, both tourers handle surprisingly well for their weight, and the braking performance is far superior. I was expecting the fixed-fairing RG's steering to feel lighter, but I really didn't notice much of a difference with the SG's batwing. In addition, although the displacement is the same, the touring bikes' 103s were brisker than my Heritage with basic upgrades (exhaust, a/c, tuner). I suppose the B's counterbalancing saps performance, but to me, the tradeoff is worth it. I also think the Heritage's ride is smoother -- a bit of a surprise.

As for looks . . . well, that's subjective. I like the uniqueness of the RG, but think the SG is the looker -- although the Heritage is a classic.

To me, the FLSTC just fits me better and is more maneuverable and comfortable to ride solo and 2 up. So for me, it's a keeper!

Old 05-15-2012 | 07:48 PM
BACCUS100176
Advanced

Ditto! I test ride both road abd street glides & your write up echoes my exact experience. Wish I could afford 2 bikes bc I would def have a street glide for the long hauls

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:26 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

I also think it has a lot to do with the type of riding you do

I like jumping on the wife's Fat Boy if I am running around the corner but the SG is just SOOOOOO nice on the highway

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:30 PM
tonka45
Cruiser

have to agree with the OP. I thought about a SG,,but after riding it stuck with heritage,, this is my 2nd FLSTC and I like the looks and the ride for type of riding I do..A road King classic would be my 2nd choice...
But if you want to talk about sitting up high,, jump off the Heritage and on to a Sportser 1200C ,,,I have both and what a difference...wanna buy a Sportser !:-)

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:31 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Admit it...you're not in the "Geezer Glide" age bracket...yet.

Understand - touring bike's are something you either love/hate...huge step-up from my 05 Sporty, but wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:42 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

That's what I like about Softails, your sit in it, not on it plus I like the B engine. I had a '72 EG with an old banana seat & I always felt like I was going to fall off of it.

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:51 PM
jefkat2
Road Master

Traded in 07 Electra Gluide for my Heritage and glad I did

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:08 PM
jayray
Tourer

To each his own. Got the Road Glide for riding and the dyna for bar hopping.

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:13 PM
JonW
Road Warrior

I have both a Street Glide and a Heritage. The Glide is sure nice for longer trips. But every time I ride the Heritage, I'm amazed at how much better it rides than the Glide.

Old 05-15-2012 | 09:23 PM
agueybana
Road Master

Originally Posted by MikeZ
Inspired by the recent article in HOG ("Glide vs. Glide"), I test rode both a new Street Glide and Road Glide Custom to see what I've been missing. Here's my short take for those of you who may wonder if the grass is greener on the other side from a Softail rider's perspective. . .

I will start by saying that now I truly understand what people mean about sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" it. I felt as if I was riding a horse on the Glides, and the mid controls felt awkward and cramped compared to the Heritage, which is odd since most tall guys (which I am not) gravitate toward the touring line. The higher center of gravity is a significant difference. Speaking of ergos, I also didn't like the stock handlebars -- I needed to lean forward too much -- and I didn't feel "planted" in the saddle. Also, the rubber-mounted A engine on the Glides shake like a Dyna at idle. Of course, at higher speeds, the touring bikes smooth out nicely, but where I live, I am stuck in traffic often (even on the Interstate), and the shake, rattle and roll gets old fast.

In fairness, both tourers handle surprisingly well for their weight, and the braking performance is far superior. I was expecting the fixed-fairing RG's steering to feel lighter, but I really didn't notice much of a difference with the SG's batwing. In addition, although the displacement is the same, the touring bikes' 103s were brisker than my Heritage with basic upgrades (exhaust, a/c, tuner). I suppose the B's counterbalancing saps performance, but to me, the tradeoff is worth it. I also think the Heritage's ride is smoother -- a bit of a surprise.

As for looks . . . well, that's subjective. I like the uniqueness of the RG, but think the SG is the looker -- although the Heritage is a classic.

To me, the FLSTC just fits me better and is more maneuverable and comfortable to ride solo and 2 up. So for me, it's a keeper!
SAME HERE WENT LAST SUNDAY TEST A ROADKING AND A DELUXE, I'M IN LOVE WITH THE DELUXE, BUT THE KING OFER ME MORE FOR THE MONEY, COMING WITH BAGS, ABS, CRUISE CONTROL AND WIND SHIELD! ...FOR THE SAME MONNEY, I HAVE TO BUY SMART!!

Quick Reply: Test Rode a Couple of Touring Bikes -- Glad I Have A Heritage!