Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help need on how to wire auxiliary lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Damion
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need on how to wire auxiliary lights

Hey there,
I know there's been a few threads on here regarding aux lights and I have read a bunch if not more, but still a bit confused...

I'm adding a auxiliary light bar and was looking into the correct way of doing it on a 09 softail. I see a few people have used a "relay" taking the ignition power source from the "yellow" (low beam??) or "white" (high??) to terminal #86. Then adding a inline fuse on wire from terminal #30 to the battery. Terminal #85 grounded, terminal #87 to the aux lights with a on/off switch in between.

As you know, then the lights will only work when the "lows" OR "high" are on. But I want to be able to turn it on/off in high or low, (when ignition is turned) with a the separate switch I will be adding.

I see some people tap into the "Auxiliary" Orange wire that stops right under the tank in the headlight harness. I just can't tell what else is on that wire. It seem to be also going to the rear lights. I'm guessing the running lights.

So if I tap into that one, will it power the running lights on high or low.. without having to use a relay or an additional fuse..? But if I sort out that wire would it kill my other lights?

I was thinking of using the "Orange" wire as the ignition power source for the relay terminal #86. Then (I THINK) I would be able to control it in either High or low as loang as the ignition is on...

Am I right? I don't have the tester and it's all apart now, so I want to wire it correct the 1st time...

thanks...
If anyone actually know which one is correct please let me know..
thanks,
D.