Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs Low rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012 | 11:22 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Look at the Deluxe hard and heavy. At 5'6" you want to stay away from any big twin with forward controls. You will not be able to reach the controls without a reach seat and reduced reach controls, which will add to the cost. The Deluxe comes set up for shorter riders with it's pulled back bars and 1" lower rear suspension. The stock seat will also put you closer forward. The convenience of floorboards is another plus. The Deluxe will ride like a Cadillac compared to any Dyna. I personally did not like the stock Deluxe seat because it felt to wide and pushed me to far forward and caused discomfort to the backside of my legs. I swapped it out for a Lepera Bare Bones and have never looked back at the stock seat. With most all Softails you will feel like you are sitting more down into the bike.
So does the new 2012 Fatboy Lo.. Seat height is 1/4 inch lower then the deluxe and the stock bars are more of a pull back then the deluxe.. But like i said thats the 2012 Lo.. The 2011 and older had almost like drag bars on them that sucked! The lo also has a thick comfy seat that feels like it has Lower back support because how deep the seat is and how high the passenger seat is thats great for your lower back! Extremly Comfy...

Old 05-13-2012 | 11:51 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13
So does the new 2012 Fatboy Lo.. Seat height is 1/4 inch lower then the deluxe and the stock bars are more of a pull back then the deluxe.. But like i said thats the 2012 Lo.. The 2011 and older had almost like drag bars on them that sucked! The lo also has a thick comfy seat that feels like it has Lower back support because how deep the seat is and how high the passenger seat is thats great for your lower back! Extremly Comfy...
When comparing the Deluxe to the FatBoy Lo it basically comes down to what style you prefer. Do you like the blacked out look of the Lo with only 4 color choices and the ugly solid wheels or do you prefer all of the shinny chrome of the Deluxe which has 7 different color options and nice spoke wheels and white wall tires.

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:25 PM
mac1911
Road Master

I would ride everything in the Softail family and find the combination of what fits your style and size the best. Enjoy the search!

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:33 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I only know four female riders personally. One rides a gorgeous two-tone Deluxe (5'7") another a Fatboy Lo (5'10"), the other two are Sporty riders (5' and 5'4"). If you're 5'6", that opens things up quite a bit for you. Any softail...go ride them before picking.

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:50 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Look at the Deluxe hard and heavy. At 5'6" you want to stay away from any big twin with forward controls. You will not be able to reach the controls without a reach seat and reduced reach controls, which will add to the cost. The Deluxe comes set up for shorter riders with it's pulled back bars and 1" lower rear suspension. The stock seat will also put you closer forward. The convenience of floorboards is another plus. The Deluxe will ride like a Cadillac compared to any Dyna. I personally did not like the stock Deluxe seat because it felt to wide and pushed me to far forward and caused discomfort to the backside of my legs. I swapped it out for a Lepera Bare Bones and have never looked back at the stock seat. With most all Softails you will feel like you are sitting more down into the bike.
It's a know fact that the Dynas maneuver much better than a softail. The lady is going from a 883 and you're telling her Heritage...?

Old 05-13-2012 | 01:01 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

lmbo...reading these posts and everyone is saying softail for a rider thats going from an 883, female, 5'6" to boot. None of ya took into account that the Dyna would prob be her best bet because of how much better they handle. Most zeroed in on the seat height and the difference there would be so minimum its not even worth discussing.

Darlin, make sure you try a dyna, preferably a FXDL, when you go try one of the softails.

Edit: Had to add this before someone inserts foot to their mouth.
Quote: The Dyna is more balanced and is best at making corners and steering in traffic. It is also best suited for riding two people up while the Softail is best only for one rider or a lighter load. It also costs less than the Softail. Whichever model one opts to buy, both bikes are fast, efficient, and fun to ride.

Read more: Difference Between Dyna and Softail | Difference Between | Dyna vs Softail http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...#ixzz1um5n039v

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 05-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2012 | 01:57 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mac1911
I would ride everything in the Softail family and find the combination of what fits your style and size the best. Enjoy the search!
That's your best advice right there. But don't forget to ryde a Dyna like Tampa said. Then don't forget to post pics of what you rode home on.

Old 05-13-2012 | 02:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by socal yankee
That's your best advice right there. But don't forget to ryde a Dyna like Tampa said. Then don't forget to post pics of what you rode home on.
Hot dayum, Socal! Figure ya be up at the Born Free 4 this week, brother.
Pass that bottle Jack this way, bro LOL

Old 05-13-2012 | 02:56 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Hot dayum, Socal! Figure ya be up at the Born Free 4 this week, brother.
Pass that bottle Jack this way, bro LOL
I wish, Brotha! I got so many things in the way! Graduations, Mothers Day, Grand Re-Opening of my buddy's cycle shop.. Life is gettin in the way of some rydin time!! Theres 2 more shots left in my last bottle.. One for you and me!!

To Great Days Ahead!!!! Wooo Hoooo!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2012 | 04:11 PM
suiii15
Road Captain

You dont want anything with those ugly black solid wheels...ridiculous. Love chrome guys.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs Low rider