Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raise Front Tire: How Many Revolutions Should You Get With a Hand-Spin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Raise Front Tire: How Many Revolutions Should You Get With a Hand-Spin?

Just put a HHI 6-piston caliper & floating rotor on the front of my 2007 Softail Custom.

Caliper is centered perfectly on the rotor, brake is bled correctly.

The front brake seems to be dragging a bit. When I raise the front wheel and give a firm hand-spin, I only get a little over 1 revolution per spin.

How many revolutions should I be getting?

Thanks

Last edited by drspencer; 05-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how hard you turn the wheel and how much drag there is on the pads, there is some drag from the pads normally. I never counted them didn't know if there was a spec for that. I've worked on cars and bikes for a long time and never did that, count the turns of the wheel. Maybe you will get a techy that has done that. For me if it spins free slight drag from the pads then ride the sucker

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1and a quarter turns. But it depends on how hard you spin it

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

After cleaning the front caliper it spins 1 1/2 times. Prior to that, less then 3/4 and the rotor would be extremely hot to the touch when riding and not using the front brake - not good... The rear spins ~1 1/2 also despite the belt.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

You might want to flush the system the return hole on your master cylinder might be clogged or piston hanging up from brake dust

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master

This is like asking about the fall away voodoo science.
It would be hard to define how many revolutions. I guess a guy could try it with the caliper removed and with it installed. It probably boils down to personal experience as to what the acceptable drag is to let the wheel spin an acceptable number of revolutions.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

new, and until I put new brakes on, maybe most was 2... now after new brake pads She will spin 4-5 revs with about the same force.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
prldrm
Tourer

I've been searching this forum and all over the internet for the same deal. I just had new lines, pads, rotor, reservoir and wheel installed and it actually takes effort to make the front wheel even move when raised. Now I get to have a fabulous time figuring out why.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by prldrm
I've been searching this forum and all over the internet for the same deal. I just had new lines, pads, rotor, reservoir and wheel installed and it actually takes effort to make the front wheel even move when raised. Now I get to have a fabulous time figuring out why.
I got a bit of the same thing and I think it's because I had to shift the caliper over a bit to center it on the new wheel. I think the old pistons are covered with crud and brake dust over the years and don't like having to be in a different position. I think it'll wear in.

Either way, check that the caliper is equally centered over your disk. Mine was pinned all the way to one side and the wheel was TIGHT.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is similar to another question..."how long is a piece of string?".....

I had some brake drag on my back wheel. I could hear it when I pushed the bike around. It's gone now that I have several thousand more miles on but I have no idea how many free turns per unit force you should get.

Quick Reply: Raise Front Tire: How Many Revolutions Should You Get With a Hand-Spin?