Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raise Front Tire: How Many Revolutions Should You Get With a Hand-Spin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all things considering if you get atleast 1 revolution with moderate strength spinning the wheel.a better way is ride the bike for a half hour try NOT to use those brakes during that time then stop and feel the caliper close to the pads if they are NOT hot your good to go if they are noticably hot then there is to much drag..this takes the guess work out..this goes for any hydraulics,brakes,auto steering rack etc ..hot is bad means something isnt right...just my .02

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
prldrm
Tourer

Thanks for the tip. From what I can see the caliper is centered and gripping the rotor, but I'll check it again. What did you do, shim it with something?

Originally Posted by Benway
I got a bit of the same thing and I think it's because I had to shift the caliper over a bit to center it on the new wheel. I think the old pistons are covered with crud and brake dust over the years and don't like having to be in a different position. I think it'll wear in.

Either way, check that the caliper is equally centered over your disk. Mine was pinned all the way to one side and the wheel was TIGHT.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Not bothering to read all the posts, just putting my two cents in. Brake pad replacement should always have a lil drag, my rule of thumb is one wheel turn and I'm good to go.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
all things considering if you get atleast 1 revolution with moderate strength spinning the wheel.a better way is ride the bike for a half hour try NOT to use those brakes during that time then stop and feel the caliper close to the pads if they are NOT hot your good to go if they are noticably hot then there is to much drag..this takes the guess work out..this goes for any hydraulics,brakes,auto steering rack etc ..hot is bad means something isnt right...just my .02
Yep. If their is too much drag your rotor will get hot in minutes without using the front brake. Most riders do not know that checking and cleaning the calipers should be a regular thing. Bike calipers get hung up from brake dust (no dust boots on our calipers like a car) and do not retract, causing excessive drag, possibly rotor warping or worse.

http://lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/downl...intenance2.pdf

ride safe all.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Did the new caliper come with shims? My PM caliper on my fatboy did. You can also loosen the caliper bolts and give the wheel a spin. If the wheel spins freely the caliper is not centered. At least that was the case for me.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

On my bike I discovered that the caliper wasn't square with the rotor. The pads were worn crooked, thinner on one edge then the other, so there was a lot of drag till they wore in. I wound up shimming the caliper to align it with the rotor. Rotor is cooler and the wheel will spin fairly freely. I also noted the wheel spun easy and longer without the caliper bolts tight, and went from there.