Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,033 Likes on 5,304 Posts
Default Which cables?

Okay, folks, I'm getting down to the short strokes on personalizing my '06 Heritage Classic. One of the last items is changing out the stock brake/throttle/clutch cables to something nicer.

Does anyone have any recommendations for nice-looking cables? Harley Diamondback? Barnett? Other?

Also, recommendations on best place to buy? Zanotti seems best for H-D items, as far as I can tell....

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Which cables?

Hey Philip...

I can't speak about the cable situation, but I can speak with authority about Zanotti Motor Company.

I have used them exclusively to customize my new 2007 Fat Boy...to the tune of $4K+! Ouch...and damn that catalog they gave me when I bought my bike!I hope thewife doesn't read this post!

Seriously...prices were nothing less than outstanding, no pesky sales tax since I live outside of PA, minimal UPS ground shipping charges, with everything new and fresh and in the factory boxes! Several employees at my local HD dealer were laughing and said that they need to order from Zanotti's so they could get a price break! I have a few items that I ordered incorrectly and a few that were listed in the catalog incorrectly and was told by Tim and John at Zanotti's to box them up and send them back for a full creditback to my overworked Visa card.

Great guys...order with confidence! Good luck with the cables!

Steve

Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve, any photos of your FB? I'm in the process of customizing my 07 and photos really help.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,083 Likes on 562 Posts

Cables are like paint colors...everyone has a different taste.

I like the traditional stainless steel cables over the chromites, diamondbacks and other flashy cables. The traditional stainless cables look like what goes on race cars. The Harley brand are excellent and priced good if you buy from one of the discount dealers at 20% off.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dugan...

No pictures as of yet...it is a work in progress and I wanted to wait until I had all of the parts onboard. I'll be doing most of the work myself and I don't want to be caught without all of the parts and do-dads that I needed, or thought I would need.

Over the next few weeks I'll be installing a chrome swingarm, chrome sprocket cover and bolt set, chrome pivot bolt and axel cover set, Vance and Hines Staggered Big Shots, an SE Stage One with a custom cover, PCIII, chrome console kit with a new speedo/tach combo, an HD Sidekick Seat, new passenger pegs and chrome mounts, change out to a toe onlyshifter and new brake petal pad, chrome inner primary cover, oil cooler, leather grips, aux switch kit, dual element headlight and the thick nacelle assembly,lowered shock set, running light conversion,alarm siren, and of course...change out of all zinc fasteners to the chrome versions. Whew! Did I forget anything?

I'm slowed down a little also because all of my tools were metric...a curse from being a long time Honda VTX/Gold Wing rider! I've given the local Sears store a lot of business doing a change over to SAE...and then I realized my old Craftsman toolchest and cabinet were too small to holdall of the new tool acqusitions so...you guessed it, I needed a new tool box setup! My son loves it...he's in the "hand-me-down" line for any extras Dad has!

The wife has been very patient with me...thank goodness, and lets me go about my mid-life crisis in peace! I can't wait to get it all done and I'll post some really good pictures then. Until then...I'll be looking for a part-time job at the local mini-mart to pay for all of this. I'll be the guy with the awesome Harley Fat Boy parked outside of the store and the permanent grin on his face!

Steve

Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the Diamondbacks, and I can't see anybody else making a better looking cable..
I also agree, if you are doing it yourself..
Zanotti's!

Steve, I also replaced or hot toppedEVERY single piece of zinc hardware on my bike.
Here's a little sample in my engine pics.
It amazes me to see some of the truly nice rigs out there where the owners really don't consider the detail by getting rid of the cheap hardware. That alone kills it for me.

Let me suggest using "Hot Toppers" where ever possible.
In most cases, they look more finished than a chrome allen or hex head.
There are pieces available to complete the entire bike, and where you can't then use chrome.
I can tell that you and I have the same values when it comes to finishing....

Good luck completing her, and post some pics asap.

George.