Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Color...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,729 Likes on 3,954 Posts

Looks good to me. Mine runs fine and has 40K with then looking lke that. Note I run the NGK (maker of the Softail plug for my number) Other Harley Plugs that say Harley can vary on bids and contracts.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Jim Kraft for a straight answer!!! My pipes are black. No white at all. These plugs have upwards of 5,000 miles on them. Maybe more depending on whether or not the dealer replace them upon taking the bike in on trade before I took delivery.

Say I'm running lean - would you happen to know how to richen it up? I tried playing around with the power commander and had no luck changing anything. I'm running the correct map as per dyno jet with my current mods.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

Thanks ripsaw. That helps a lot. I'm gonna get new plugs and re test after that.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry NightTrainBM; My old EVO is carbed, so just had to change jets to one size larger. Some of the others on here should be able to tell you how to richen it a little. I am not up on the EFI systems at all.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NightTrainBM
Thanks ripsaw. That helps a lot. I'm gonna get new plugs and re test after that.
The NGK have 10K plus. My tac started acting up (crazy erratic bounce and I though they may be the plugs missing slightly (could not fill it) and the break down interference causing it. New ones did not help problem. Think Harley's' $200 China tac is gong south or maybe connection (ground or in speedometer plug) Have not checked connections yet. My bike is easy on plugs. They would probably run 20-30 K if I left them in. The Harley plugs in my picture actually only have about 7K on them. Got caught few years ago way south of VA in a freak ice/snow store in the spring and they thru liquid brine salt all over everything. Plugs looked so bad with corrosion I pulled them. Thats the Harley's in closeup. The pink on the 10K NGK is from a lot of mainly 70% interstate running.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-04-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

Jimkraft - no worries. Thanks for the info.

Ripsaw - do you recommend the NGK over the Harley? My needle bounces a tad up thru 3 gear. I changed tachs awhile back and as it was less, it still bounced a little.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NightTrainBM
Jimkraft - no worries. Thanks for the info.

Ripsaw - do you recommend the NGK over the Harley? My needle bounces a tad up thru 3 gear. I changed tachs awhile back and as it was less, it still bounced a little.
They are exactly the same, see no difference--even visible. Harley Plug for this number has to be made by NGK. No difference in price, Auto Zone is 3 miles, Harley Dealer is 20 for me. Only reason I said what I say. I see no difference. Interesting about tac. Know mine is total electrical. However last winter when it got down to 35 I would start bike and it would bounce 1000 to 2500-3000 to 1000. When I poped on interstate it would bounce 2K up and down. I mainly use it as my headsups speeodmeter since I wear a full face helmet and drive year round as long as it's above freezing. This summer it only goes crazy when I hit 3200 it will start jumping 1000 k or so. Drives me crazy since it's like right in your face I'm screwed up. FIX ME.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

I think the tachs are just junk. My dad has the smaller dyna tachs and they don't bounce. But my buddy had a softail standard and his does it from
Time. Not as bad as yours tho. Yours def sounds like its on it's way out... But I
Understand the angst with it. I can't stand when things " aren't right " lol. I have a strut bolt that has started to corrode, just the smallest bit and I can't wait to get to the dealer to get a replacement. It comes with the Harley territory I guess. But then there's the guy that never cleans, parks it outside, and hasn't changed the oil in 3 years and doesn't give a damn. Lol

Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

There fine stick em back in and ride. If the bike were lean
It would be coughing through the tb or carb alot.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

reading spark plugs is a art like fortune telling.
You plug looks to be running a little on the lean side but quit riding it like your driving Mrs. Daisy!!!

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Color...