Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- 2" fork tubes...... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get the full kit. Just the drop in. It didn't come w the damper springs, just 2 springs that drop in 2 washers and a PVC spacer. Went by the directions, think I'm just gonna cut the spacers down further see if that works, if not ill add the factory damper springs to these and see what happens.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer

Originally Posted by BB06FLHX
Ok. Found them but I have no idea what size I have do no idea what to think of ordering. I have a 05 Deluxe. I assume they are 49mm but what length?
I believe they are 41mm says 22 1/4 for FL 2000 and up. But that's -2 on my bike. Yould want 20 1/4 I believe. But make sure on that.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 AM
2DAKERB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Fxstd
The progressive kit I got said large spring, small spring, washer, spacer, washer. Nothing about the damper springs in bottom. I guess ill try adding the stock damper spring and see what happens. How short is your spacer after adding that stick spring? I'm sure ill have to cut more off of mine to get it anywhere close to flush with the top of the tubes. Just trying to prevent doing the job more that once!! Thanks for all your input 2d !!!
Are you doubling up the large and small spring?
The small spring from the kit should go where the stock small spring goes.
On the bottom part of the damper.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dirty Fxstd
I didn't get the full kit. Just the drop in. It didn't come w the damper springs, just 2 springs that drop in 2 washers and a PVC spacer. Went by the directions, think I'm just gonna cut the spacers down further see if that works, if not ill add the factory damper springs to these and see what happens.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. From the looks of the drop in kit, you should have a total of three springs in each tube. The kit comes with a main spring and a compensator spring. These 2 springs get installed in place of the factory main spring, along with washers and spacer. The small factory damper spring remains in place. This is a completely separate spring located under the top of the damper rod (See the link to Ronnie's microfiche below, prt 33 is what I'm referencing.) if the factory damper spring is on your workbench, or if you dropped it in the tube with the main spring, then that is where your problem lies. The install steps should be:

1. damper spring
2. damper rod
3. main spring
4. compensator spring
5. washer
6. spacer
7. washer
8. cap.

Hope we're helping and not confusing! Good luck!

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-STEERING-STEM

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer

Ok well, the instructions on the drop in kit said, remove factory spring (the big one) install big spring then compensating spring, then a washer, pvc, washer, cut the pvc to get lower. I cut it to 3.5, (the instructions say 4.5 for fx front end) But looking on the forum thats what other people cut too to get 2" of drop.

The instructions said nothing about the damper spring. so i didnt mess with it when i put the kit in the new tubes. I am still not home or that thing would be torn down right now lol.

The instructions say 3" for the 22 1/4 (fl front end) tubes, I only cut a half inch, just wanting to cut minimal at a time. but it only dropped it a half inch from where it was with the 241/4 tubes. Thats why i was asking about the spacer sizes to see how much other people were cutting. now i think i have a different kit then 2d or even story, getting more confused actually. haha.

*jreichart - yes i do have 3 springs in the tubes at this time. with -2" tubes and drop in kit that lowered it 2.5 inches from stock height with 3" spacer installed. thats why i was thinking maybe just cut the spacer another half inch or inch to see if i get more of a drop out of it. But I would only like to do tear it down once more haha, looking like i may have to do it more then that though.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish I could help more, but I got the full kit which accomplishes the drop by adding damper springs. I would suggest cutting the spacer flush with the top of the tubes and see where that gets ya. Worst case, you nave to run to lowes and pick up some 3/4" PVC (same as the spacers in the kit). Good luck man, that's gonna look sick when ya get the 4" drop accomplished!

Last edited by jreichart; 05-07-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
Wish I could help more, but I got the full kit which accomplishes the drop by adding damper springs. I would suggest cutting the spacer flush with the top of the tubes and see where that gets ya. Worst case, you nave to run to lowes and pick up some 3/4" PVC (same as the spacers in the kit. Good luck man, that's gonna look sicifs hen ya get the 4" drop accomplished!
Have to agree cut to flush and see what you have then

Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So will the DBI kit on ebay lower your front 2 inches? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer

Originally Posted by 103ci07nightrain
So will the DBI kit on ebay lower your front 2 inches? Thanks.
If you are talking about 2" shorter tubes from DBI yes it will lower it 2"

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer

Cut the PVC spacer down another inch to 2". It dropped it another inch. Went and rode about 150 miles still rides like a dream, guess I'm gonna leave it at this height until I slam the back with air ride. Then ill pull the whole thing apart and change or add the damper springs, maybe add some ricors. Thanks for all you guys input on this been a lot of help!!