Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the Tropics 20-50 or straight 60 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Oil in the Tropics 20-50 or straight 60 ?

Please don't yell... I am New, but I did search!
My question is: If bike will never see temps below 70 degree's, I live in Puerto Rico, what would you run in a '06 Deuce w/stock engine. No touring, mostly twisties, and cruisin' for a few hours. 1/2 day rides or less.
Not much stop & go traffic either, live in the middle of nowhere.
The P.O. used HD 20w50... always let the dealer do it.
No Dealer for me. Nothin' against the dealer, I do all my own work on everything. I'm thinkin' Amsoil or Mobile1 for V-twins, but I don't think I need a Multi-Grade, as there's never cold weather.
Do You Think Straight Grade 60 weight is too much/heavy? Or does it really matter, I ain't racing, but I want some heat / lube protection...?
I gotta think a 20w50 wud be thin as water in this Tropical heat.
Thanks All!
jack

Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no mechanic, and I don't play one on TV. I think multi grade oil isn't just for colder weather but for start ups, warm ups as well. I use Redline 20-50 V-twin oil in my 06 Softail. Living in Southern California 90+ degree days are not uncommon. I also run a thermostat controlled HD oil cooler. If you're worried about the heat, try the 20-60 oil. You can call the oil manufactures
and ask them about their products..and tell them about the climate you will be riding in, they will advise you.

Good luck,ride safe

Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member

Soft '06...Thanks, Yur right about the multi, I guess the 20 part of the 20w50 or 20w60 will get into smaller areas (not so thick), and aid start-up, which is supposed to be the hardest on the engine (first minute) before oil gets pumped up & all over.
Just needed to ask here!
BTW, Even Southern Cal gets cold in winter, No? 40's or 50's? Is that why yu use multi-grade for starting in colder days? See I don't ever get that, and that's why I asked about the Straight Grade!
Thanks Man, geeez yur the only member that replied, guess it's kinda a dumb question that's been gone over a bunch. I did search B/4 posting, nothin' on Bikes In Tropics that I cud find.
jack

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Redline

Originally Posted by Soft06
I'm no mechanic, and I don't play one on TV. I think multi grade oil isn't just for colder weather but for start ups, warm ups as well. I use Redline 20-50 V-twin oil in my 06 Softail. Living in Southern California 90+ degree days are not uncommon. I also run a thermostat controlled HD oil cooler. If you're worried about the heat, try the 20-60 oil. You can call the oil manufactures
and ask them about their products..and tell them about the climate you will be riding in, they will advise you.

Good luck,ride safe
+ 1 on Redline - their V twin power pack has everything in it except the filter. The 20w50
is for twin cam engines and 20w60 is for older Evo's. I'm near Palm springs,ca and run in
100+ weather often and want the best protection - Redline IMHO.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member

OK, I can get Redline here. I was wondering, anybody running Royal Purple?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Any forum that has to do with oil and or oil coolers you are going to get 1000's of answer's. My thought is the same that has already been stated, 20-w-50 because you still have start up no matter how hot it gets where you live and ride. I favor Amsoil but I have since been influanced enough that I am also going to try some red line and royal purple this summer. I will then stay with what I like most. Years ago and past bikes I ran the Mobil 1 but I think these newer oils have better additive packages now a days, IMHO!!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well S&S specifies a straight 60 grade with ambient temps above 80f. The MOCO does not though.
I would run a straight 50 or 60 in your climate. The oil would almost not shear at all,retaining it's viscosity and film strength for the entire oil change interval.
A mono grade oil is suited for your application and I think you will be fine using it.
However it will pump like mud at temps below 60f so be forewarned.

My personal opinion is go for it but I'm sure you will get many opinions.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member

TBONETONY... yep, makes sense, Nice Dobe, I love em as much as HD's...
Thanks,
jack

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Island Hog
Elite HDF Member

SHREDDING, yes, that's exactly what I was thinkin'... never ever below 80 degree's unless I bust my butt to wake up at 4:AM and head for the mountains in dead winter, December or January. The only reason I wud do that is to check out leathers, that I CAN NOT wear very much... even a vest is killer in this climate, but helps with the bugs and debris, little stones that get thrown by cars...
Thanks man, I be goin with a straight grade, whatever I can find in Never-Never land here, hopefully Amsoil or Redline...

Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,772 Likes on 1,121 Posts

IMHO an oil cooler is a requirement for HD's seeing hot temps.

Quick Reply: Oil in the Tropics 20-50 or straight 60 ?