Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Headlight Bulb Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
silent bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Headlight Bulb Upgrade

I'm sure this has been debated many times as to which is the best replacement bulb, but what I want to know is how to go about replacing the actual bulb itself. If you pull the stock one out (if I remember right), it doesn't have a replaceable center bulb, just the whole single sealed headlight with the 3 prongs on the back, right?

Everyone is talking about replacing the stock one with a brighter individual bulb, but isn't the stock one a whole sealed unit? Is there a way to get a bucket for the softail that allows for individual bulb replacement, so I could get something like the silverstar or similar?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive never had mine apart so Im no expert. I just received the nacelle headlight kit and am having it installed next week. Looking at the exploded view of the headlight assembly supplied in the nacelle kit, you can replace the bulb with the 3 prongs it just has a retaining clip that holds it in the assembly. I started a thread on here a few days ago asking what bulb to use and was directed to the Osrom Night Breaker H4 bulb. I found it on Amazon for $34 shipped to my house. Hope that helps

Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about your Deuce but my g/f's 2000 Dyna Lowrider uses a bucket/halogen light combo. The bulb has the traditional three prong connection like your thinking of, but it is separate from the reflector and lens.

Do you have a Parts Catalog for your bike? I find it easily as helpful as the Service Manual in that the exploded drawings make things very easy to understand.

To your other question, it should be fairly simple to replace the entire headlamp unit if you choose to. I swapped the small 5" one on my 07 Street Bob for a Fatboy 7" unit because I think it looks better. In my case I had to radius the windshield to fit but that's not needed if you don't run a shield or if you stick with the same size light. Just find one that mounts the same way - my 07 uses the bottom clamp mount while the 00 Dyna hangs down from the eyebrow so changing it would require finding a top stud style light.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
MBLOLYFE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Silverstar!!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why the hell HD does that, some models use a H4 bulb replacement and others use a sealed beam that came off a '55 Chevy.

My '93 Sportster used a H4 and my '02 Heritage used a sealed beam .... DAMN!

I doubt yours uses a sealed beam. Your headlight housing is too small. Take the trim rings off and get the light out. The H4 bulb attaches to the back of the headlight bucket.