Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb choke question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 03:21 AM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master
Default Carb choke question

So a few weeks ago I picked up a 2001 carbed Nightrain. Now my other ride is fuel injected so I don't know much about carbs except for the fact that I love the sound!! My question is for some reason when I start her up cold and pull the choke out to warm up it won't stay out, I have to hold it the whole time which is kinda a pain. Does this mean I need a new choke valve or is there an adjustment that can be made???

Old 04-19-2012 | 03:36 AM
piperbob
Road Captain

There should be a plastic nut behind the ****, tighten it a little.

Bob
1997 Heritage

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:31 AM
the blob
Road Warrior

Yes to the above. But be careful the plastic can crack easy!

Old 04-19-2012 | 04:49 PM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Ok, I'll check it when I get home but i'm pretty sure it's already pretty tight!

Old 04-19-2012 | 06:33 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

They break very easy (ask me how I know!!). It is a dumb design. As mentioned above try to tighten the nut. If it is broken you can get a new cable for about 12 bucks. They are easy to put on but you have to pull the carb.

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:08 PM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Ok, I don't think the wire is broken because it still works, just won't stay out by itself.

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:16 PM
softail99custom
Cruiser

The plastic nut is cracked....I know, I overtightened mine, It doesn't take much !!! I used a spring loaded clothes pin to keep mine out till she warmed up !!

Old 04-19-2012 | 09:16 PM
Doug S
Road Master

The nut or plastic threads may be cracked now but that nut does not adjust the tension on the ****, it is only to hold the assembly to the bracket. It gets broken because folks torque it trying to get the **** to stay out...

To adjust the tension that holds the **** out, loosen one turn the large plastic nut behind the metal bracket that holds the enricher **** assembly. Now pull the **** out and note the knurled plastic that the **** rests against when it is all the way in. This is the tension adjustment and the large nut has to be loosened so that you have a little space to tighten the knurled plastic. Tighten it a little-(does not take much) and try the ****, when it is good, lightly tighted the large nut and everything will stay inplace and in adjustment. (Page 4-12 in the svc manual)

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Carb choke question-h-d_chokei.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012 | 06:15 AM
2006FLST
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jd Swiper
Ok, I don't think the wire is broken because it still works, just won't stay out by itself.
If the nut is broken then you will have to replace the cable. The adjuster nut and cable are all one peice.

Old 04-20-2012 | 07:33 AM
Springerpilot
Cruiser

JD,, I think Doug is pretty much correct, BUT I just went through this same thing with my 96FLSTN. For about a year my choke wouln't stay out by itself and I dealt with just holding it out while it warmed up, yes, got to be a pain. Mentioned it to a new mechanic I started using just recently -- the kind of old mechanic that makes fun of the "certified Harley Service" guys who are 20-25 years old. He said you must be VERY careful when adjusting the collar (or knurled) **** because if you break it, YES, you will have to pull the carb to install a new choke unit. NOT and expensive part, but an expensive install (for labor). HE, and this is just my experience, used a "hose clamp tool" (looked like a surgeon's scissors-clamp) to tighten what I thought was the outer nut described here (NOT the knurled inner ****...which seems more correct in this thread of answers), and the small adjustment worked just fine. He also said to be very careful as many owners just break it. Maybe you have a crusty-old-mechanic guy nearby who might know of both simple proceedures and can just do it for you? My guy did it in a matter of a minute and didn't charge me anything. Good luck.

Last edited by Springerpilot; 04-20-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Carb choke question