Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic film thingy on Heritage rear fender

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plastic piece is only like $12 and some change if you ever want to replace it. Like the others said, as long as the pillion has some felt or other material under it nothing to worry about. Even the stock pillion has a material already on the underside. I didn't want a bib and have run the stock pillion without any damage.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 04-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My paint has a little wear where the pillion over lapped the rubber/plasic sticker thing over the years, so I'm inclined to think, with the vibration of the bike, you'll get paint wear unless you have something like that rubber/plasic in place that sticks to the paint (at least somewhat) and doesn't move.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
My paint has a little wear where the pillion over lapped the rubber/plasic sticker thing over the years, so I'm inclined to think, with the vibration of the bike, you'll get paint wear unless you have something like that rubber/plasic in place that sticks to the paint (at least somewhat) and doesn't move.
+1

The reason H-D does the clear decal instead of just carpeting the bottom of their pillions is because it gives you a contact point that doesn't move against the paint itself and doesn't allow fine gritty particles between it and the paint. No matter how soft a material is, if you run it long enough some small abrasive particles will get under it. Then you add the weight of a person on top and the constant vibration of the motorcycle and no soft cloth is going to keep your fender from getting marked. I think soft materials are a good solution if you only throw you pillion on every once in a while for short trips. But if you plan on riding with a passenger for extended periods and through various weather conditions you can expect to find some wear under the seat after some time. Take it from one who knows! The only thing that ever kept my stock fender from getting pillion marks was that plastic. Once I removed it and tried other things I eventually ended up with a good pillion outline. Eventually I didn't care because I knew I would be switching out fenders in the near future. Otherwise I would have been pissed at myself!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,437 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Did mine today when I detailed it, time for pillion to go. Let it set in the sun a bit then saturated the leftover glue with a 3M adhesiver remover, then used platic putty knife to get rid off the old hardened glue and a 3M saturated wash cloth to remove the other glue remnants. After washing the scoot, and the leaf blower thing, I let it set and dry in the partial shade. Afterwards used a mothers brand polish and a wheel buffer, turned out nice with the exception of the paint blemishes from the pillion. There was no sense using a rubbin compound on those, they were bad. All in all job well done, now to find a decent solo seat...heheh

OOps, I did make wrong judgement call and that was the Armorall leather care gel an on that seat...have to remember to hold on with both hands for the next week or so!

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 04-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,343 Likes on 702 Posts

My passenger seat scuffed my fender even with the plastic film in place. I took it off and threw it in the trash. I run a fender bib underneath the seat when I need to, otherwise I run solo with a clean fender most of the time.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the rear fender bib? I've got a 2011 Crossbones. I checked their site for it, but am not having any luck anywhere.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Five7Hemi
Does anyone have the part number for the rear fender bib? I've got a 2011 Crossbones. I checked their site for it, but am not having any luck anywhere.

Thanks!
I don't believe HD makes one for the Crossbones specifically. The one for the Fatboy might work but you'd have to make a hole in the center of the bib between the two forward mounting holes for it to work. The Crossbones only has one center forward hole where as the Fatboy has two holes a few inches apart. I have a feeling that there is an aftermarket company out there that makes a Crossbones fender bib. You'd just have to search it out.