Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012 | 08:07 PM
xodustrance
|
2nd Gear
Default 2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?

I am new, terribly nervous, but I have always loved HD's. I bought the bike to honor my son who was killed - he always drew HD's and we always talked about buying one and riding one duo. I can't explain it, but buying one to place to hold his ashes in the saddle bag just made me feel better.

I should mention I was a hard biker, I would bike to work and one the weekends for the exercise and fun (mountain bike). I was hit by a van driver (with my 2 year old on the back seat) once, but I was able to react quick enough to avoid any injuries to myself or daughter. I mention the bicycle riding only because I feel I have a better than average sense of balance. I only crashed one time for taking a turn entirely too tight in a race, but I was 11 at the time, and I havent since. I rode well into my late 20's, but havent for the past 6 years.

I was going to use the softail as a living room display, but my brother in-law feels I should honor my son and take his ashes on the east coast tour like promised him. So I am beginning to rethink just letting it sit.

I was planning on doing the first season strictly on our traffic-less, back country roads. I am also signed up for the MSC so I don't have to do the road test - I don't know anyone with a MC license anymore, so I have no way of getting the bike to the testing center, and this seemed like the most reasonable way to get the motorcycle endorsement.

We have thought of maybe buying a smaller bike so I could beat around on that, but it will be at least a year or two before I can afford another 2 - 3k + added insurance in the mix of things.

Is learning on the Heritage a reasonable plan? I am a big guy, 6'2" 260 lbs. The bike felt extremely comfortable sitting in it. I couldnt test drive because I have no license, I realize that will be considerably different.

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I could always just get our custom work done, and sell / donate the bike after the wife and I have healed over the loss of our son.

Thanks for anything you can chime in with -

Old 04-15-2012 | 09:05 PM
vanzant68
Cruiser

Wow sorry to hear about your son.

I'm 43 511 and 225lbs. I've been riding a 2011 heritage for almost a year now as my first bike. I took the riders edge course with no motorcycle experience at all. You should do great on the heritage after a good safety course.

The heritage has at least two helpful features: a low center of gravity and a comfortable ride.

Old 04-15-2012 | 09:20 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Great bike and very versatile. Windshield or not. Bags or not. heal/toe or not. Harley's aren't really made for speed so don't let people tell you the engine is too big. But at the same time ya gotta respect it. The is a lot of power at the flick of your wrist.

My advise would be to buy a beater for under a grand. An old 750 or something. Screw around with it for a month. Heck, if ya got the guts don't even sign the title. Ride illegal for a month. After a month or so sell it. You might even turn a profit.

The course should give you the experience and confidence you need though. You should be fine. My advise on the beater is not b/c of the engine or style of the Heritage but b/c of the price tag on your Heritage. Screw up on the beater your out less than a grand. Screw up on the Heritage, well...

Old 04-15-2012 | 11:10 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser

buy it, ride it.....you'll love it....take the riding course...

Old 04-15-2012 | 11:20 PM
Papa Mike
Advanced

Xodustrance:

First, I am sorry to read about the loss of your son. I cannot begin to imagine your greif.

Next, it is awesome that you purchased the HD to honor your son. You don't mention how long it has been since you lost your son, but you state you are "terribly nervous" and I suspect this is partially due to your loss. If the stress and hurt of your loss is clouding your emotional state or hindering your ability to think clearly right now, you owe it to your family and son to just let the Harley sit until things begin to settle for you guys.

Then, take the Motorcycle Safety Course and learn to ride on the 2012 Heritage. I have some of the same bicycling experience you have and my new to me 2007 Deluxe is what I am learning on. Respect the weight, power, and the fools in cars around you and you will be fine. I have had no problems or regrets over the past 12 weeks or so that I have been learning. These bikes are stable, predictable, and very satisfying to ride. I have enjoyed hours of zen like experiences on my bike. What a great tribute to your son and to living life.

Please, step back. Let a little time begin to heal your hurt. Wait until you head and soul are clear, then ride that awesome bike.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sincerely,

Mike

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:05 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing I can say can help, but I send out my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
I've been through my own version of loss in the last two years, and the one helpful thing somebody told me once was "don't make any big decisions for a year".

As far as the bike goes, I think any harley is a good first bike. they make these things so darn good nowdays.
My great grandpa used to have a bike shop back in the 1930's when you had to wrench on em to keep em running.

Now everything is so well balanced, all you gotta do is ride.

Have you already bought the bike? Or just thinking about it?

Old 04-16-2012 | 06:19 AM
RoCoFF
Intermediate

^^^ These guys have it right. When it comes to the bike, take that riders course. I personally took it at the local community college before I ever purchased a bike and went from there. Not a single regret here.

Also, Papa Mike hit a good point. If grief is playing even the smallest role in your decision making, then please, allow yourself time to grieve before deciding on anything of this importance.

Old 04-16-2012 | 06:45 AM
My401k
Cruiser

My condolences regarding your son and Congratulations on buying the Heritage, is an awesome bike. This is sort of a bitter-sweet purchase.

After you take the rider safety course you'll have a better idea if you are confident enough to take the Heritage out. I'm guessing you will. Then when you get some experience and confidence riding, the west-coast trip sounds like a great idea.

Old 04-16-2012 | 06:58 AM
chiefe
Tourer

If your taking the riding course you should be fine. Your a big man and yes the Heritage is a big bike but in time it will feel just a small as the mountain bike. Jerry Paladino has a series of DVD's "Ride Like a Pro" and they certainly offer lots of little tips. They are a good watch.
Take your time, you'll be fine. Do your son proud and my condolences.

Old 04-16-2012 | 08:22 AM
Poolguy
Cruiser

Sorry for your loss. I cant imagine loosing one of my children. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

About the bike, like VANZANT69, I too, bought my first bike ever, a little over a year age, and it is an "09 Heritage. It is a very easy bike to ride, and the Heritage is a very versitile bike. Its a big bike but your a big guy so you should have no trouble with it once you take the riding safty course.
I also agree with PAPAMIKE, dont rush it if your emotions are gonna affect your ability to ride the bike safely.

Quick Reply: 2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?