Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 08:29 PM
xodustrance
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 11Heritage
First off, welcome to the forum! Second, sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through as I lost my son as well. It is a very tough thing to go through mentally. Just to pass on to you some words that a dear friend told me, "If the lord brings you to it, He will bring you through it." I look at it this way, my son is my guardian angel who is with me every time I ride and we are having a ball on our Heritage.

As far as your new ride goes, you are going to love it. Like everyone has said, take the course. I don't know how it is in your state, but in MN, you have to go take your written test to get your permit before you can take the safety course. Then you are legal to ride with restrictions. When things get settled down for you and you are feeling better, and you get out riding your sweet bike, there will be no turning back. These things are built to be riden.

Good luck to you and your family and many happy miles to you on your new scoot!
Thank you, you know my pain, despair, and my longing to sit him on my knee again.

Old 04-19-2012 | 06:29 PM
11Heritage
Advanced

Originally Posted by xodustrance
Thank you, you know my pain, despair, and my longing to sit him on my knee again.

Just remember that our boys are always with us, everywhere we go. They are our angels. Keep strong, bro!

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:52 PM
Faceless
Cruiser

So sorry to hear about your loss, always sad to hear of young one passin.
As far as the bike goes congrats, I always wanted a Harley & am so glad I bought one.
These bikes are so well balance that even a guy like me 5'8" has no problem riding one.
If you've never ridin a motorcycle before definatley take the riders coarse better to get a feel for riding on a smaller bike first after that the transition to a bigger bike is smooth sailing, enjoy your east coast trip theres no better way that I've found to clear your min than cruisen your sled own the road.

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:51 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Sorry about your son.
I could NOT imagine.

As far as big twins, the Softail's (Specifically the FL Softails) are the easiest to ride. I cannot speak for the new FLD.

Back when I bought mine, I rode all the available models.
I "almost" went for the EGlide Std, but the the one I rode had the shorty Streetglide windscreen which was pretty much worthless. I wasn't ready for a fairing (I am now HAHA)

But coming off an 84 FXS, the Heritage felt good. Lowest ctr of grav.

I had also considered a (used) Dyna Wide Glide to do the FL trip on, but wasn't sure how much $$$$$ I'd blow. and didn't really care for all the low speed jiggles that era Dyna had. They shook like a paint shaker unless you were on the hammer.
The B-Motor in the Heritage sold me. Smooooooooooooooooooooth!!!

I do want a Touring model . . . But every time I get a woody for one, I ride one and . . . Eeeh, not so great. The Softail feels more solid. Hard to explain. Maybe too solid at times ha ha. The rr susp does not rebound very well (at all)

Good luck to you.
All the best !!!!

Old 04-28-2012 | 09:06 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

If the bike feels comfortable to you just sitting on it at the dealership, good chances it'll mesh well with you when in motion too ;-)
And sorry about the loss of your son. Sounds like he had a cool dad while growing up