Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 08:53 AM
Poolguy
Cruiser

One more thing I wanna add.... If you have, or are going to get a 2012 Heritage, have the dealership check the spokes on the wheels. I read a thread on here about more than 1 of them leaving the dealerships with loose spokes. Someone must be sleeping at the factory

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:02 AM
11Heritage
Advanced

First off, welcome to the forum! Second, sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through as I lost my son as well. It is a very tough thing to go through mentally. Just to pass on to you some words that a dear friend told me, "If the lord brings you to it, He will bring you through it." I look at it this way, my son is my guardian angel who is with me every time I ride and we are having a ball on our Heritage.

As far as your new ride goes, you are going to love it. Like everyone has said, take the course. I don't know how it is in your state, but in MN, you have to go take your written test to get your permit before you can take the safety course. Then you are legal to ride with restrictions. When things get settled down for you and you are feeling better, and you get out riding your sweet bike, there will be no turning back. These things are built to be riden.

Good luck to you and your family and many happy miles to you on your new scoot!

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:05 AM
My401k
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chiefe
Jerry Paladino has a series of DVD's "Ride Like a Pro" and they certainly offer lots of little tips. They are a good watch.
+1 - It will be money well spent.

Old 04-16-2012 | 09:48 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain

Sorry about your loss. The Heritage makes a great second bike IMO.

Old 04-16-2012 | 12:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Life is all about memories, Sorry for Ur bad one.

The Heritage is a great bike, love ours, ride great, low balance point, GREAT Ergo with the seat and bars.. just hard to beat one in my book.

Only U know if Ur ready for one.

Old 04-16-2012 | 02:30 PM
Clint Bateman
Intermediate

Like everyone else has said +1 on the riding class

Old 04-16-2012 | 04:33 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain

As with others, very sorry for your loss.

I am similar stature to you... 6'1" & 240#. I went to the MSF basic rider course in my area, then bought an '09 Heritage as my first bike. My dealer let me test ride some different models, and the Heritage just looked and felt right for me. I feel in love with it immediately. The Heritage is a great bike, and I've never had cause to regret my choice. I think you'd do fine with one too.

Old 04-16-2012 | 06:10 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

Sorry about your loss bro. Thats awesome your gonna start riding man a heritage is a kool bike just take it easy its just like riding a bicycle just 800lb heavier. I didnt take the course but ive been riding motorcycles since i was 5 years old but most will suggest the course for you and they will teach u alot and it could be a confidence booster. Good luck and let us know how u make out and welcome to the forum

Old 04-16-2012 | 08:21 PM
xodustrance
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by imboden
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing I can say can help, but I send out my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
I've been through my own version of loss in the last two years, and the one helpful thing somebody told me once was "don't make any big decisions for a year".

As far as the bike goes, I think any harley is a good first bike. they make these things so darn good nowdays.
My great grandpa used to have a bike shop back in the 1930's when you had to wrench on em to keep em running.

Now everything is so well balanced, all you gotta do is ride.

Have you already bought the bike? Or just thinking about it?
Bike is already bought. Its at the shop waiting some cover and gauge installs. I was only at the shop because he would drag me there every time we drove past. Its been 30 days since his passing, and I know many of you probably think I made too big of a decision too soon. Even if I never ride it, I got my baby boy his dream. He just turned 7 before he passed, and I regret not getting it while he was still alive so I could do the east coast ride with him on the back.

Thank you for your kind words.

Old 04-16-2012 | 08:24 PM
xodustrance
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Poolguy
One more thing I wanna add.... If you have, or are going to get a 2012 Heritage, have the dealership check the spokes on the wheels. I read a thread on here about more than 1 of them leaving the dealerships with loose spokes. Someone must be sleeping at the factory

I read those threads here, and my next upgrade is some mag wheels.

Quick Reply: 2012 heritage a good first motorcycle?