Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest cleaning tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Latest cleaning tip

As I have said many times I am a self admitted clean freak and chrome *****. Awhile back there wa a cleaning tip thread and most said they used windex to clean and do chrome with. I had never used it before as I have always used quality wax or detailer solutions. Since that thread I have tried it and find it does work well. I brought my Cadillac home the other day and the front was full of bugs and I would not stand for that so I reached for my windex but it was empty. I got to thinking and I had just bought some Prestone bug wash from WalMart for the cars reservoirs. Hmmm, its windex with an added ingrediant to emulsify bugs, bird droppins and tree sap. I grabbed it, filled an empty windex bottle and tried it. IT WORKED FANTASTIC! I then pulled the cover off my bike to go after the bugs on my bike, IT WORKED FANTASTIC! It took the bugs right off, in a flash, no elbow greas at all! Spattered bugs and bird droppins are largley carbohydrates and Prestone bug wash puts in an igredient in thier windshield washer solvent to work on those carbohydrates. I will never go without PRESTONE BUGWASH again! I will always have a bottle in my garage just for my bike and to keep the bugs off of it. It worked in a snap! The spattered bugs were gone like right now! Spray it on, wipe them off, easy as that!!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I to am a clean freak and a chrome *****. I have used Windex for years to clean bug guts off of chrome. Another thing that works better than Windex is
Eagle One Nevr-Dull wadding polish. The wadding is not near as messy as chrome polish but it will leave an oily residue that I wipe off with a microfiber rag. I also use the wadding polish on the cheap Harley spokes then wipe them down with a microfiber rag with WD-40 on it to prevent rust. On any chrome parts that might develop a small surface rust spot I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM
11Heritage
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks! I have also found a saving grace for bugs. It comes in a 16oz spray bottle and its made by Seafoam called Bugs-B-Gone. Because I would rather ride than clean, I had 3 months of dried and caked on bugs over 1/4" thick all over the front of my bike. I sprayed it on and the bugs and guts started to melt and I sprayed it off with a garden hose! Works on paint and leather too. Best part was the price, $4 per bottle. I won't be without it again.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I've used simple green for the same thing. Takes the bugs right off. Plenty of products out there! Thanks for the tip on the bug wash. I'm sure in the long run its cheaper!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lemon Pledge does all of the above.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
1HOTTrain
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't forget that most of those cleaners have alcohol in them which takes any wax off. Just have to re-wax after the cleaning. Same reason you don't use dish soap to clean your car - it cuts the wax.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer gave me a bottle of the HD Bug Remover to try. It works very well on painted surfaces and chrome.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by mac1911
My dealer gave me a bottle of the HD Bug Remover to try. It works very well on painted surfaces and chrome.
What.... U mean HD makes and sells products to clean U bike....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Any true cleaning product has either a solvent base, chlorine base, ammonia base or a soap base, igepal it is known as. All of these remove or affect a wax or detailer product. I never have to worry about that though because everytime I clean my bike, wash my bike or wipe my bike down I then use a detailer compound Like Mothers California gold on it or I wax it again. I never touch my bike unless I know I have the time to completely clean it and rewax or detail it too. Its one of the prices one has to pay for being a chrome *****! Whats the point in having chrome if the light does not dance off of it and it sparkles!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found Liquid Performance cleaner and polisher (aerosol) to be amazing stuff. A local dealer carries it and the guy who details their bikes turned me on to it. Of course it's $10 at the dealer but can be found on amazon for half that. If you want your chrome to shine, I promise you won't be disappointed. Spray on a micro towel to apply and wipe with a dry micro, cleans bugs and other road grime easily. Cuts a ton of time off when detailing and like I said makes the chrome and any painted surface, frame etc, shine like crazy. If you don't like it, I'll buy the can from you.

Quick Reply: Latest cleaning tip