Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest cleaning tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
BlazingC5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great tip on clean of bugs.

I like to coat my chrome and and painted areas that are exposed to bug splat with Rejex after cleaning my bike. Rejex was designed for use by the military to protect finishes against the harsh exhaust from helicopters. It protects for months and makes cleaning brake dust off of rims and bug/bird splat removal much easier.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/rejex/
http://www.corrosionx.com/articles/CarandDriver.pdf

Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Dude, never heard of this "Rejex". Where does one get it? I am always up to new and improved stuff to make all that chrome easier to clean and shine. Like I said, whats the point of having dirty, dusty, smudged, spattered chrome? I am NOT one to "skimp" when it copmes to my bike. I will go way out of my way and spend more to get quality. As for the Prestone bug wash though? $1.79 a GALLON at walmart, bugs fall right off with the wax and detailer I keep on my scooter.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
BlazingC5
Advanced

Rejex can be bought here on line:http://www.autogeek.net/corrosion-te...FQcFRQodGnDKig

I've also found it at True Value Hardware Stores in the automotive. If they don't have it, I've found that I could talk to the manager and they would order it for me. It is also available at many aviation and boat stores.

I'm heading to Walmart today to buy some of that Prestone bug wash!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Newman252
5th Gear

Will this Prestone stuff hurt the denim colors? I mean it won't add a shine will it. I have a black denim bike. I usually just use Windex for touch up to get rid of mild dust or whatnot before and after every run. But for a good cleaning to remove bugs I was told to use blue Dawn dish soap. Bike looks great after a wash with the Dawn, just seam windex does not take car of the bugs good enough for me.

Funny when I first got the bike I was told it was a lazy man's bike because of the little chrome. Well, the chrome parts are the easy parts. It's the black that shows every little bit of dust and bugs. Get dirty even after only a few miles.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lemon Pledge works great on bugs. Spray, leave for a couple of minutes, then wipe off.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Prestone bugwash will not hurt any surface. I use it on my 78 Eldarodo and my bike now. Its the same thing as the Windex only an additive to work on carbohydrates which is what bug guts are basically. Does it affect wax or a detailing compound? Anything that has been mentioned here will degrade and cut wax and detailing compounds. That does not concern me though because as I have stated before, I wax or detail my bike everytime I take a rag to it. They will not totally strip the wax off but I would assume after 3 or 4 uses it would be time to lay another coat of wax on it or a detailing compound for good measure.