Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 FLSTN Project is about to begin.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
bkb5
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Update. I ordered my wheels, and rotors today. I ended up ordering the 60 spoke DNA's in chrome with the billet hub from KC International. 21x3 front, 18x3.5 rear and DNA's spoke style rotors to match. Tried to order the matching pulley but they were out of stock and didn't have an ETA so they said it might be best to order it somewhere else. Does anyone have any idea where to find it? Now I need your help with tires. I'm trying to decide if I want to order whitewalls from Diamondback or Hot Hawg or if I want to go with blackwalls. What do you think? Thanks again for all your tips. Panhead, I did call Jireh but I decided I wanted to be a bit different and go with the 60 spokes.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM
bkb5
Cruiser

Finally figured out how to post a pic. Heres the start of the project right before I rode it home. I've been crazy busy at work but I'm off tomorrow and going to start tear down. I'll post some more pics as I progress. BTW, I found the pulley I needed from Outlaw Cycles and I'll order the tires from Tab at DB in the morning.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
bkb5
Cruiser

A little progress today. Lots more to come this weekend.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great choice on wheels...I'd give Tab a call at DB if you decide on WWs. If not, be sure to check prices at motorcycle-superstore.com, they always seem to have really great prices and currently I think have 31% off Metz. It all depends on the look you want...my Lux didn't have WWs when I bought her and I'm really happy I went with a WW, it completely changed the look of my sled.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new ride brotha, cant go wrong with the Reed style bikes. Good luck and keep on posting them pics.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

bkb5, Great bike, have fun with the project. Just a few opinions from a guy who has owned two FLSTN Specials... definitely keep the wide whitewalls if you can, they are an important part to the overall look of your bike...AND, since 95s are basically a "light black on dark black" bike, you run the risk of your Special looking too much like a black Heritage Softail Classic if you go with blackwalls (at least from more than 10feet away). Cobra tires just came out with a wide-whitwall tire that I think looks great, consider that with your other choices. Second, I don't know WHY any FLSTN owner would trade out of his original "shotgun" duals (with fishtails!) for a stock staggered-dual setup from a garden-variety FXSTC...as appears to be the case looking at the pre-purchase picture. If you are looking at swapping out the current exaust (I see it is off the bike in the last pics), I recommend something that returns to the unique look of the "over under" setup of the stock units. IN FACT, the shotgun duals are the very reason that the FLSTN's have the small "pony bags" in the first place...larger bags would not fit with the high pipe of the rear cylinder. Anyway, lots of aftermarket setups with higher sitting pipe/s look great on these FLSTN's. Keeping the stock seat/bags is also a pretty good idea IMO...you don't see them on ANY other bike in the lineup from that year.

Last edited by Springerpilot; 04-20-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
bkb5
Cruiser

Well guys, thanks to all your tips I just ordered my Avon tires from Tab at DB. I decided it needed the whitewalls. The bike, motor, and trans are completely torn apart and I hope to drop everything off at the powdercoater by the end of the week. I'm trying to decide if I want to go gloss black on the motor and trans or go back to the wrinkle. What do you think?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great find on that bike. I want to see where this thread goes.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM
RRTX_FSTLN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the bike, I picked up my 95 a couple of months ago. Look forward to see your build up.

Quick Reply: 1995 FLSTN Project is about to begin.