Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile "break in service" - is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

1. Buy a service manual.
2. Print out the check off sheet. See Below for the 07 Softails.
3. Buy a torque wrench in ft lbs and inch lbs.
4. Do everything that is required on the service list. It is not just a fluid change.
5. Keep all of your receipts. Write down the day and the mileage on the check off sheet then staple the receipts to it.

Use the fluids you want. NOTE: I would not put Syn3 in my lawn mower.

My dealer tried that crap on me. Freaked him out when I dropped the folder in his hands.

Install the pipes yourself then tell them to kiss your a@@. Find another dealer to tune it.

Read your rights under the MMWA.

This section is the good part.

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 AM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would definitely say that it needs to be done; either DIY or at the dealer.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I only go to MOCO for the 1000 for the warranty, after they they never see me except for warranty work.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Was a time when that 1k mile service was thrown in at the sale. Doesnt surprise me atall they would start chargin for it, bastids...laffs

Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 AM
johnwyz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it yourself. Too easy.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mac1911
I would definitely say that it needs to be done; either DIY or at the dealer.
I have to agree with what seems to be the general concensous. The service needs to be done. Who does it is up to you.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

IMHO the first check is the most Important one and I'd have them do it.
Thats because if U ever do have any probs with the bike at least U can say the dealer did the service.

There is a big diff where U live as far as the Cost.. I had my first 4 services done by a dealer and I've never paid over $245 for any of them, last one they did was in 09.

Actually the last two was around $170, cause I changed the oils myself before I let them have the bike for the 10k and 15k service.

Since then I've done all my own work cept tires and brakes.. Which I have our local INDY in town do them. Lot better labor price than the dealer and I order parts from Dennis Kirk over the phone. ends up about 1/3 less cost for me.

As far as doing just the pipes voiding U warranty That's just plain BS. If U ever did have motor issues they would first have to prove the pipes caused it.

IMO U've got an AH dealer,, I'd find another who will work with U.

I did the usual stg1, (pipes, A/C, SERT, CAMS and they were not SE's, plus a dyno and our dealer still covered the bike back in 07.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dealer do the first one on my Triglide as I knew squat about a Harley. Kinda was upset by the price but figured it's done right etc. They did a good job.

Then Last year I bought a new Road King and with the manual I bought I figured what the hell.
It was easy enough to do and I learned quite a bit about the Harley engines in general.
I would do it myself if you have the time. I kept documentation of supplies used etc. as well as dates and milage involved.
Just be careful not to strip and plug holes etc. and you'll be fine.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with most of the comments, for me the first service I don't mind paying for but after that I think it's up to us what we decide to do as we did buy the bike didn't we?

If you enjoy doing the service yourself then and keep enjoying it.

I like doing things myself I guess that's the best part of the hobby, I have also had some bad experiences with dealers and mechanics over the years. Plus I have also had my fare share of listening to some B.S from them too and watching them trying to rob people blind.

This is why we have forums and sites to refer to in-case of doubt or in-need of help.

My 2 cents in the whole discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure they check the spokes . . . Watch them do it if you can.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile "break in service" - is it necessary?