Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Russ Wernimont vs Heartland

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
GrissaOstDrauka
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Russ Wernimont vs Heartland

So I've decided to replace the rear fender on my Rocker for sure. The Harley dealer can get me the Heartland Heartbreaker for 850. When I go to heartland's website the kit costs 2100. I'm assuming that comes with a splash guard and seat but I'm not sure where they're getting that much extra for all that. I've also been looking at the RWD short fender, very similar to the Heartbreaker. I can walk away with everything on that for about 1200. I was just wondering if anybody knew if the RWD fender would sit you back just like Heartland kits do. Either fender is chopped, probably 24 or 26 inches in length. I was worried about there being a big gap on a stock suspension. I don't mind lowering it but I don't want to do anything involving an air ride set up. My last question has to do with a second seat option. I've noticed heartland has a setup for a second seat that attaches to the strut, just wondering if RWD has anything like that or if I'll just have to use a bitch pad and make my own sissy bar. Lot of questions I know but its hard to find precise info on them online and the dealers don't seem to know much more than me.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are planning on riding a passenger the HL kit will be a better option as the strutless RWD fender will not support a passenger as well. As far as all the specifics on the RWD fender, I don't have the answer you are looking for. The price you are getting for the HL leads me to believe it is just the fender and the struts, but if you can get it for that price jump on it for the whole kit. That is far below cost.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on what Robert said above. Additionally, You might want to give some serious thought to air ride. Both those fenders will sit pretty high with stock suspension settings.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
BK26_SLICK_SG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hogpro
If you are planning on riding a passenger the HL kit will be a better option as the strutless RWD fender will not support a passenger as well. As far as all the specifics on the RWD fender, I don't have the answer you are looking for. The price you are getting for the HL leads me to believe it is just the fender and the struts, but if you can get it for that price jump on it for the whole kit. That is far below cost.
Wrong! The RWD strutless fender simply has the struts built into the fender. RWD also makes a 2-up seat for this set up as well. The RWD fender will support a passenger.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look Ito a seat from Danny gray. That is a very popular seat on the Rockers.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
GrissaOstDrauka
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passengers will be a rarity for me so I'm not really worried about comfort. I found a lowering kit that will drop it two inches, would that close it off enough? What would that most likely due to the ride? I just don't know which way to go. I've got about 4 grand to put into the bike. If I'm just getting the fender and struts what else would I need, just the seat?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
BK26_SLICK_SG
Cruiser

IMHO don't go with a fender conversion unless you will be going with air ride. Air ride is the only way your bike won't look like a 4X4. Personally, I like the fender being mounted to the swingarm so I went with a Danny Gray and I love it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Another thing to consider is the shape of the fender, looking from behind. Most are kind of "flat" across the tire. Here's mine.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lowering bolts are a good/quick/cheap way to get you close while you decide if you want to go Shotguns later. I agree with others that it will look like *** unless you do some serious lowering. Nothing looks worse than a bobbed fender and about 10" of air between it and the tire.

I also like the fender mount to swingarm approach, but then you have trouble getting a seat to look right...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry about the bad info, I didn't realize that the fender had internal struts.

Quick Reply: Russ Wernimont vs Heartland