Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTC (Softail Custom) Cable Length for 14' Pist Apes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM
King Villain
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXSTC (Softail Custom) Cable Length for 14' Pist Apes

Got a small problem. I own a 2010 Softail Custom and in a couple of weeks I'm heading to a buddys house where hes going to help me install my carlini 14' pist apes that I had delivered to his house, which is a 6 hour ride. The problem I have is I don't know what size cables I need to get for the install? Also would like to know if it would be OK to place a riser on as well and if so what size cable would be recommended with the riser? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 AM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

If im not mistaken, didnt the custom already come with mini apes (12in.)? If it did, there SHOULD be enough cable to fit a 14 with maybe 1 in. riser. Noting a tape measure wouldnt verify. Im no expert but i do know theres generally some slack in the lines n cable that come on em with a little room for a small rise in bars.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure, but I did a +4 on the Crossbones going to 14" outlawz. Of course since you are going to 14 foot bars, you made need something a bit longer.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM
King Villain
Novice

@SeMiGoD It came with 8' mini apes or atleast mine did. (bought it used)

@BrettandBama Thanks for the reply but it leads me to ask what are foot bars (and as you might can tell I have no clue what I am doing lol. Thats why I am going to have a buddy do the install for me lol.)

Last edited by King Villain; 04-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

I was just messing with you 14' is 14 feet, 14" is 14 inches......like I said, I was just goofing with you. I went with +4 on my 14" outlaws, but they don't have a lot of pull back and are only 33" wide. I believe Carlini is now doing cables. They may be able to give you the lengths needed. Are you planning to order the cables? If so, give Dr. V-twin a shout. They are a supporting vendor here on the forum and can probably put you a package together with everything you need. You will probably want to look at getting some poly-urethane bushings as well. 14" bars are tall enough they are going to quickly wear out your stock riser bushings. I have goodentite bushing by alloy art on the Crossbones. My bars have pretty much zero play in them....

EDIT: I am also running the stock 3" risers. If you want to swap risers, you need to account for the difference in height for the new risers as well. If you have 1" risers now and are going to 14" bars with a 3" risers, you need to account for 16" in rise....

Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM
King Villain
Novice

OK but you was serious about the +4 though right. Also yes I am planning on ordering my cables so if Dr V-Twin can help I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, I was serious. I used +4, but that may not work for you because of the width of the bars and the use of risers. Check with Dr Vtwin

Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
King Villain
Novice

Originally Posted by SeMiGoD
If im not mistaken, didnt the custom already come with mini apes (12in.)? If it did, there SHOULD be enough cable to fit a 14 with maybe 1 in. riser. Noting a tape measure wouldnt verify. Im no expert but i do know theres generally some slack in the lines n cable that come on em with a little room for a small rise in bars.
Well I got my lazy butt up and checked to make sure and as it turns out, you are correct sir. Which would normally suck for me since I was torn between the 14" and 17" apes and had I known my stock mini apes are 12" I would have gone with the 17" (kind of pointless in my opinion to put that much money into just 2 extra inches"). Usually this type of error on my behalf never turns out good for me but luckily this time it worked out OK. I have the 14" sold full price already and will be ordering the 17" on Monday. Thanks for the help if it wasn't for your reply I would have never second guessed the previous information that my stock bars are 8". Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Klrdog
Cruiser

I can't decide myself on 14" or 17" with Carlini's with there high roller chrome riser. Im 6' 1 ".