Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting on Heritage is now GONE

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM
IDSTC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about it for the winter. Do the fangs touch the engine guard when you turn all the way to one side or the other?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSTC
Do the fangs touch the engine guard when you turn all the way to one side or the other?
Nope.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Ed McLellan
Advanced

The below is based on all the buffeting coming from the left side. I have the Heavy Breather on the right and that takes care of any air problems on that side.

If you ride with a windshield (and have the buffeting) you can hover your left hand just above and in front of your left knee. You can feel the wind that's hitting your helmet right there. It comes right up your chest and into your helmet. I used to open the vest pockets to help keep the wind from hitting my face, they were heavy leather and actually did help.

If you remove the windshield, the buffeting will go away. The incoming air from the front will over-ride the air from below.

I added the fork mounted lowers, this stopped a lot of the buffeting as 90% of the air that hit my knee was now being pushed out around my left leg. I still wasn't quite happy as on long rides it would still get annoying.

In order to take care of the final 10% I reversed the lowers. If you look at the lowers from HD, on the outside (slanted) edges, they have a forward bend. To me, it looked like it would just cut through the air, so when I put them on in reverse the bend was backwards and actually "push" the air they catch out to the left a tiny bit more. This took care of the final 10%. Just look at them, you can see that one way would have a tendency to slice the air, while in the revers direction it would push the air more..

When I ride now I get Zero air coming up my chest into my face

Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM
vanzant68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
I think a layman's explanation is that most head buffeting actually comes from below the shield. Riding with no shield lets you feel the full force of the wind and negates most of the effect of the flow of wind up over your knees. The deflectors used in conjunction with a shield sends more air up and over. That's probably why you get the weird and troubling buffeting when using the deflectors with NO shield - the straight on wind is disrupted. Then again, I may be all wet.

Thanks. That makes sense. I went out for a ride today and good feel what you were talking about. I will likely order a pair. They don't seem too difficult to put on.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
tonka45
Cruiser

Name:  IMG_2725419x640.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  67.4 KB
Originally Posted by vanzant68
Thanks. That makes sense. I went out for a ride today and good feel what you were talking about. I will likely order a pair. They don't seem too difficult to put on.
Mine took about 30 minutes. I don't have the quick detach shield ..so remove 3 bolts from each side,, insert the defelctors,, put the bolts back in through the deflectors and the shield barcket,,tighten and you are done.

Only issue I had was aligning the top bolt on both sides,, but I have that issue every time I have removed the shield.

here is a pic if I can get it to post..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
FatVermonter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed McLellan
The below is based on all the buffeting coming from the left side. I have the Heavy Breather on the right and that takes care of any air problems on that side.

If you ride with a windshield (and have the buffeting) you can hover your left hand just above and in front of your left knee. You can feel the wind that's hitting your helmet right there. It comes right up your chest and into your helmet. I used to open the vest pockets to help keep the wind from hitting my face, they were heavy leather and actually did help.

If you remove the windshield, the buffeting will go away. The incoming air from the front will over-ride the air from below.

I added the fork mounted lowers, this stopped a lot of the buffeting as 90% of the air that hit my knee was now being pushed out around my left leg. I still wasn't quite happy as on long rides it would still get annoying.

In order to take care of the final 10% I reversed the lowers. If you look at the lowers from HD, on the outside (slanted) edges, they have a forward bend. To me, it looked like it would just cut through the air, so when I put them on in reverse the bend was backwards and actually "push" the air they catch out to the left a tiny bit more. This took care of the final 10%. Just look at them, you can see that one way would have a tendency to slice the air, while in the revers direction it would push the air more..

When I ride now I get Zero air coming up my chest into my face
Ed... can I trouble you for a pic of them on your ride?? I have a FLSTFB as well and even though I'm not enthusiastic about how they might look on the bike, the buffeting I am getting with my king-sized detachable is pretty unbearable at highway speeds.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

I wondered if someone had a part number? Parts guy here has clear plastic kind that are not HD.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
I wondered if someone had a part number? Parts guy here has clear plastic kind that are not HD.
Mine was 58125-90B

Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
Mine was 58125-90B
Thanks MikeZ

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

That buffeting does get old, nothing cuts back on the enjoyment of the ride like having your head yo-yo-d by the wind! lol

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: Buffeting on Heritage is now GONE