Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce drag bars, help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
slickmachine
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deuce drag bars, help.

I have a 2004 Deuce with what I think are the stock handlebars.. I bought it used, obviously. I absolutely hate the handlebars (picture attached.) and I want drag bars, as they are more my style and in my opinion will fit the look of the bike a lil better. Also, the bars on there have enough rise and sweep to make me uncomfortable on the bike: I'm 6'2" and with long arms, i find myself trying to sit/lean back in the solo seat to get comfortable, at which point my back starts hurting, yadda yadda. I like a more aggressive stance on the bike, leaning more forward, rather than the lounge chair feel I have right now. So, any tips for a first time Harley owner in choosing new bars/drag bars? I've looked around on here and was unable to sift through and find something that addresses this specifically with the deuce and drag bars. The wiring on the bars I have is external, fwiw.

To summarize, I'm looking for suggestions on brands of bars and any input on the bend on the drag bar (sweep) that will fit my needs considering my height and reach. Also, what considerations for installation? Will I need to shorten brake lines, wires and cables? Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Deuce drag bars, help.-2012-04-05-13.58.47.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
toprat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slickmachine
I have a 2004 Deuce with what I think are the stock handlebars.. I bought it used, obviously. I absolutely hate the handlebars (picture attached.) and I want drag bars, as they are more my style and in my opinion will fit the look of the bike a lil better. Also, the bars on there have enough rise and sweep to make me uncomfortable on the bike: I'm 6'2" and with long arms, i find myself trying to sit/lean back in the solo seat to get comfortable, at which point my back starts hurting, yadda yadda. I like a more aggressive stance on the bike, leaning more forward, rather than the lounge chair feel I have right now. So, any tips for a first time Harley owner in choosing new bars/drag bars? I've looked around on here and was unable to sift through and find something that addresses this specifically with the deuce and drag bars. The wiring on the bars I have is external, fwiw.

To summarize, I'm looking for suggestions on brands of bars and any input on the bend on the drag bar (sweep) that will fit my needs considering my height and reach. Also, what considerations for installation? Will I need to shorten brake lines, wires and cables? Thanks in advance.
I did this swap on my buddies 06. I dont have any pics. No need to swap cables or anything. I put a set of stock HD drag bars off an 06 Nightrain on his. We used the stock risers which have a little pull back to them, but he is not as tall as you. You may want to use a set of straight risers 4"-6" should be perfect.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
RossiSS
Intermediate

I put drag bars on my deuce last year, for the same reasons you want to. My bars are the same dimensions as a night train but made by flanders. I used 4.5" straight risers and now it feels great to me. I will post some pics when I get home from work tonight.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
slickmachine
Intermediate

Thx a lot fellas. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
RossiSS
Intermediate

Here are the pics. I did go with a shorter brake line to clean things up. The stock throttle cables and clutch cable worked fine. Now the clutch cable is off the bars so it's not in the pics.

I switched the brake line in this pic to a shorter one. Because I screwed up on my measurement.

This is my old bike, so now you see why I'm more comfortable with this set-up.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
slickmachine
Intermediate

Rossi- thats a huge help brother. Thx for the pics. What is your height if I may ask? I think that setup is exactly what I want. I like the narrow width, slight sweep. Only thing I hate to lose would be the curved risers since they match the lines of the bike so well.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

nice deuce rossi! post em up in deuce pic thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rossi: Which bend did you go with the Flanders drags? The A4, or F4? What's the width of the drags you bought? Thanks!

Slick: Straight risers will help you stretch your arms out. I found a cheap set on flea bay for $38.00.

Last edited by Branner; 04-06-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
RossiSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slickmachine
Rossi- thats a huge help brother. Thx for the pics. What is your height if I may ask? I think that setup is exactly what I want. I like the narrow width, slight sweep. Only thing I hate to lose would be the curved risers since they match the lines of the bike so well.
No problem, I'm 6' tall with kinda long arms also. When I got the bike it had the stock risers with 33" wide drag bars. It felt like I was sitting up to straight on the bike with those risers. And the wide bars had way to much leverage on the steering for me. I've been riding street bikes for 22 yrs and the first 15 of those were on sport bikes. So I guess that's why I'm more comfortable leaning over the bike. These are the only pics I have of the bike with the other bars. Sorry the quality of them is not that great, but hopefully they can give you an idea of what it looks like.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
RossiSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Branner
Rossi: Which bend did you go with the Flanders drags? The A4, or F4? What's the width of the drags you bought? Thanks!

Slick: Straight risers will help you stretch your arms out. I found a cheap set on flea bay for $38.00.
The bars are Flanders DS-300219 or 650-28445. The dimensions are, 18 degree bend, PB 3.75, C 7.5, W 27.5.

I agree about the cheap risers. I bought the risers and top clamp for around $50. That way if I didn't like them it wasn't much of a loss. After I knew that's how it was gonna stay I bought a nicer top clamp. Don't forget if you change risers on a deuce you need the spacers to fill in the larger hole on the triple tree.

Quick Reply: Deuce drag bars, help.