Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch doesn't seem to be fully engaging

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
RaymondTM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch doesn't seem to be fully engaging

I have read many of the posts in the forum regarding this subject, but just want to ask about it again.

My 06' Softail Custom, symptoms:

1. when starting the bike while in 1st gear, it trys to move a bit
2. so, starts in neutral fine, but when shifting it goes hard into 1st, with a rather hard/loud clunk.
3. while in 1st gear, with clutch handle depressed, the bike doesn't roll as freely as when in neutral. It again seems that the clutch doesn't fully engage. This symptom is both with the engine running or with the engine off.

I have performed the clutch adjustment, per manual.

Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

That pretty much explains all 4 of my bikes.....

Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hspring03
That pretty much explains all 4 of my bikes.....
Yup. That sounds about right.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like my bike as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaymondTM
My 06' Softail Custom, symptoms:

1. when starting the bike while in 1st gear, it trys to move a bit
2. so, starts in neutral fine, but when shifting it goes hard into 1st, with a rather hard/loud clunk.
3. while in 1st gear, with clutch handle depressed, the bike doesn't roll as freely as when in neutral. It again seems that the clutch doesn't fully engage. This symptom is both with the engine running or with the engine off.

I have performed the clutch adjustment, per manual.

Any ideas?
I have the same symptoms except that mine seems to move around ok while running. I leave it in gear when I park in the garage and it's hard to roll it unless I put it in neutral or it's running. The clunk going into 1st seems typical with other H-Ds I have been around. When starting in gear, there is a little lurch forward and then the bike seems content to sit perfectly still with no hint of trying to move or a laboring motor. The dealer adjusted my clutch during the last service but this aspect remained unchanged.

Mike

Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
RaymondTM
6th Gear

Thanks, everyone. I've y'alls comments from others, as well. It's just hard for me to believe that this issue is normal and correct. But, maybe so.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

The title of this thread is a little misleading. After reading your question, what you're really asking is about clutch disengagement, not engagement.

As long as your clutch doesn't slip under load you should be fully engaged. Now, when disengaged the drag you are feeling is typical of wet clutches. The cause is the binding effect of the oil between the clutch plates and it is perfectly normal.

As for starting the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged, that puts extra load on the starter and is not something I would do except in an emergency situation. Starting it in nuetral is the more desireable method.

And pushing the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged, well that puts more load on yourself. Won't hurt anything on the bike, but why put yourself through the extra effort. Put it in nuetral.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does all that when it's cold, but not after it's warmed up to normal operating temperature. When I start it cold, I always start it in neutral. Even after it warms up for 5-8 minutes, no matter how long I hold the clutch in it still clunks going into gear.

After it's fully warmed up though, I don't have any of the issues anymore. I can pull in the clutch to roll it while it's in gear and it's just like rolling it in neutral. Same with starting it in gear after it's up to running temperature (although I still usually put in neutral before starting it). Also, after it's fully warmed up, if I hold the clutch in for a few seconds before putting it in gear it doesn't clunk at all; shifts into gear silently.

...and yeah, clutch pulled in is disengaged, not engaged.

Last edited by str8jacket; 04-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
RaymondTM
6th Gear

Thanks, 2slack1s and str8jacket for the comments, and the technical correction! I like it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Clutch adjustment at the lever handle, use a nickle...I prefer a loose dime. If that doesnt get it time for the clutch pack adjustment. Quite a few youtube videos that cover that but always read the manual as you watch that video. Torque specs are everything.

Quick Reply: Clutch doesn't seem to be fully engaging