Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT lids

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Non DOT lids

I'm going thru NY, Mass Vt and NH this summer and have a non DOT lid I'd like to use as it's light. Now the question is will the local leo's hassle you about not having a DOT helmet. I normally ride without and don't have that much room to carry one so I will have to wear it the whloe trip. I have used it in both NY and Mass but not for a long distance. Is it worth taking the chance?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt chance it. Here in md its a $100 fine and it doubles if u put a dot sticker on it.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
discodave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "novelty" helmet that looks pretty legit. I bought some "DOT" stickers off of Ebay and it looks like the real deal. The key is to not get one that ridiculously thin.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've ridden with a Voss non DOT for years. I live in MD and I've never been hassled. I've ridden from here to Cape Cod a few times (NJ, NY, CT, MA) and never been hassled. I rode across country a few years back, never got hassled (granted I did plan my trip to avoid the helmet law states, but had to go through a few). However, I will NOT put a fake DOT sticker on my lid!! If you think it's going to fool anyone, especially Johnny Law, then you're a fool yourself. They can spot the non DOT's a mile away, and if you're pulled then they just check the inside for the sewn in DOT cert. At that point you're absolutely gettin a ticket for the lid, and maybe more for trying to deceive the police. Wear your non DOT with pride!!

Does that mean I'll never get caught? No. I take that chance every time I go riding. I'm sure some day I'll pass a cop who had a family member injured on a bike and who has decided to make it his life's mission to protect people like me from myself......and I'll get a ticket. Not a big deal, I'll pay it and continue wearing my non DOT. MY head = MY choice.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a super thin "cap". It's really no more than a shell with a liner in it and a nylon strap. The only thing that could make it any less legal is if you had to tie a knot in the strap under your chin. I like it because you don't even feel like it's on. I ordered it on eBay from Korea because the seller hand paints them very cool. I used it for a year in Missouri and rode to Sturgis through Nebraska. I saw lots of police up close but never was stopped. I may have gotten paranoid but I have since stopped using it in favor of a DOT lid. IMO there's no sense in tempting a ticket for something so simple to avoid. There's a lot of minimalist DOT lids. Oh yeah...and they're "more" safe. LOL

Mike

Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 AM
MSG Hall
Cruiser

I got a carbon fiber helmet off ebay. I bought it way to small and then kinda hollowed out the Styrofoam so it'd go over my fat head.

just a thought....

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

No Issues in Ma. Americade is an issue in NY. I've ridden the interstate in/through NY with a novelty and not had an issue

Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wearin a non dot when I leave CT, figured I'd just have to pay the fine if I get caught with it.
But I've heard from a couple guys that some Leo's not only give you a ticket but won't let you ride away without one meaning you either have to have someone bring you one or call a flatbed to bring you to get one.
Anyone have this happen or hear of this happening to any one?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a 3/4 RockHard American Classic (DOT approved).. I've never been bothered in NJ.. although I make it a point to give a nod or a wave to any cops I pass, just as a show of respect.. I have, however, been told to pull over in up-state NY (Catskills Mountains area) and had the officer check the helmet and all the papers and stuff.. mostly he just wanted to check out mine and my friends bikes.. took no more than 10 minutes and we were off again..

i didn't read through all of the comments here, however, i will mention that there are now some very light, low-profile DOT approved half helmets that may interest you if you feel that you don't want to take the chance of being stopped/fined.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

I live in upstate NY, outside of Albany and wear a DOT approved helmet. I ride with a lot of people who don't though. Last summer they all got stopped and got tickets 1 or 2 for having non dot helmets.

There is a chance you'll be stopped and checked, but it's not like they stop every bike. Out of the 2 tickets they got, they rode and didn't get stopped at least 1000 times, so yeah.

Quick Reply: Non DOT lids