Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 softail standard 200 tire conversion done! With pics and parts list :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013 | 07:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry if I missed it and already noted. But I had a 200MM set up off a 2006 Fatboy (Wheels , swingarm, fender) I think (been while back) but whatever year they came out with the 200mm. My 04 Deuce is 160-17

The swing-arm appeared the same as my 04 with a pull tape measurement to the inside were the wheel spacer went. Did I miss that something else was different?

Like you said the fender was 1" wider then the inside of my Deuce and there appeared to be no fender replacement unless I went aftermarket or to a Softail Custom which would probably look good on a Deuce. Did not want to use Fatboy fender? NOWAY..HA. However it appeared the caliper stop on my 04 welded to the arm may interfere with the wheel but it was a larger diameter new wheel (18..mine is 17) and may not. Is they why you needed new swing-arm?

Appears you are screwing helicoil thread insert into frame. What is that about?

I like others had reservations about cutting off frame and sold all the parts.
Excellent post. Need to edit some of your picture with just a few brief words what you are doing and thow some of the worthy answers back up top so it does not get spread out. But great detail and I am saving it under a specific folder for future reference. Thanks

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2013 | 07:53 AM
Shakey Softail
Tourer

Looks awesome mang 200 with the tri-bar tail light cleans it up i got factory frame horns if you want just pay shipping went with a strutless fender

Old 02-14-2013 | 08:34 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Sorry if I missed it and already noted. But I had a 200MM set up off a 2006 Fatboy (Wheels , swingarm, fender) I think (been while back) but whatever year they came out with the 200mm. My 04 Deuce is 160-17

The swing-arm appeared the same as my 04 with a pull tape measurement to the inside were the wheel spacer went. Did I miss that something else was different?

Like you said the fender was 1" wider then the inside of my Deuce and there appeared to be no fender replacement unless I went aftermarket or to a Softail Custom which would probably look good on a Deuce. Did not want to use Fatboy fender? NOWAY..HA. However it appeared the caliper stop on my 04 welded to the arm may interfere with the wheel but it was a larger diameter new wheel (18..mine is 17) and may not. Is they why you needed new swing-arm?

Appears you are screwing helicoil thread insert into frame. What is that about?

I like others had reservations about cutting off frame and sold all the parts.
Excellent post. Need to edit some of your picture with just a few brief words what you are doing and thow some of the worthy answers back up top so it does not get spread out. But great detail and I am saving it under a specific folder for future reference. Thanks
You don't have to cut anything off the frame, just trim the rear caliper mounting point on the swing arm and a part of the rear caliper. If you're going to lower it you'll want to shave down the inner fender supports, but they're just metal brackets. A 200mm will fit under a stock Deuce fender.

The following users liked this post:
Harleyman420 (12-21-2016)
Old 03-23-2013 | 08:13 PM
Bryce05
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by scooter223
Looks great. I looks like you used a different fender, and of course a new wheel, but did you have to change the swing arm?

JS
I did change the swingarm to a 06 ,the only difference is the caliper bracket.

Old 12-04-2013 | 05:37 PM
NOSNUM
Advanced

I am about to start gathering parts for this MOD myselfon my 2003 Night Train. From what I take is that you can use all 06 parts. I do throw the girl on the back quite often and am worried about support. Any more info on those bolt on struts from Harley? or do they make aftermarket fender struts beefy enough to act like the frame horns?

Old 12-05-2013 | 12:36 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

shotgun shocks would be nice

Old 06-21-2014 | 02:10 PM
maniac72
Stage I
Default Great mod!

Nice mod, How wide is the rear wheel you used ? Do you now if a wheel off a newer fat boy that has a 200 rear tire will work with this mod? I have a 05 night train, that has a 150 tire. Thanx Maniac72

Old 12-21-2016 | 01:41 PM
Harleyman420
6th Gear

I am in the midst of doing this mod myself. I have a 04 softail deuce and just got a total rear end off of a 08 Night Train. I take from reading above you didn't need to do a offset kit in the primary by going the route you did so the skinny belt and pulley from the 08 will make it work fine? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also did you have to cut the fender struts off your deuce to put the new ones on? I have the struts and strut covers also the fender from the 08. Not sure on putting the softail rear fender on might want to keep the deuce fender....were you able to keep the deuce fender with the 200mm tire? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Harleyman420; 12-21-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2016 | 02:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I did not do it but when I was doing all the measuring taking them from the first FatBoy that came with a 200mm rear tire. It's fender was 1" wider then then my Deuce. However, after getting the swingarm, I realized it was the same as mine. The belt on the Fatboy was even smaller then mine. For it to work, I would have needed to cut off the struts since the inner brace that sits inside the fender is a C shaped piece for strength and that 200 MM was not going to fit. I also did not like the thought of the bolted on struts since I sometimes get a load out there if I travel.

Village above however says it will fit. I was just measuring what Harley did to make sure it fit.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-21-2016 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harleyman420 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-22-2016 | 09:12 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleyman420
I am in the midst of doing this mod myself. I have a 04 softail deuce and just got a total rear end off of a 08 Night Train. I take from reading above you didn't need to do a offset kit in the primary by going the route you did so the skinny belt and pulley from the 08 will make it work fine? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also did you have to cut the fender struts off your deuce to put the new ones on? I have the struts and strut covers also the fender from the 08. Not sure on putting the softail rear fender on might want to keep the deuce fender....were you able to keep the deuce fender with the 200mm tire? Thanks in advance.
I used a smaller belt and pulley with the stock Deuce swingarm and the rest of the stuff, so I can't tell you about what works there and what doesn't. I know the Softail custom wheel required the tab that the rear caliper sits on to be shaved down a bit and now I have to remove the rotor to get the wheel on and off. It's kind of like a jig saw puzzle.

If you're going to lower it at all, the inside of the fender must be shaved down or else you'll have bolts cutting into your tire. It's a very tight fit.

Quick Reply: 05 softail standard 200 tire conversion done! With pics and parts list :)