Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 month wait for 1000mi service...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its always busy and hard to get appointments at the beginning of riding season when you have winters. everyone and their brother are trying to get their bikes serviced for the short riding season.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

No time better than the present to learn to do your own service... you already have the manual, which outlines the procedures for each interval and details the steps, so do it yourself and you'll be in compliance with the service requirements. As stated, just keep the receipts and log the service date and mileage in the manual and you'll be better off in the long run.

Congrats on the new ride - enjoy!

Roger

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by chiefe
You know how it is, their busy with the prep of new bikes for sale. They take care of you enough to take your money then after that you'll have to wait.
When I bought my used Fatboy, the stealer tried to up-sell me a service agreement which guaranteed service appointments within 48 hours. FU.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM
TOWERPC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I hit my 1K last July I called the dealer and they told me 1 month wait. I checked with my local indy who is HD authorized and they had a first-come, first-serve drop in on Saturday mornings. I went down there and waited a couple of hours and was back on the road. I noticed my bars were crooked last Fall too, but since I didn't take it in for the 1K at the dealer I figured I would take it later and see if it's covered under warranty. Took it in the 13th of March and they said a screw was lose (I don't believe that) and there was a recall to replace the BCM. I let it sit there 2 weeks waiting for parts before I went and picked it up. The BCM is still on order. Lesson learned...take it to the Indy first to see if they can do the warranty work!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
dylder
Tourer

Was the 1000 mile service included in the purchase, so now the stealer doesn't have to provide supplies if you do it yourself.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
jayc67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seems to be little on these bikes that can't be done by someone reasonably mechanically inclined as long as you have the tools, shop manual, and access to YouTube.

Yesterday I replaced all the internal fuel tank hoses and the fuel filter, having never seen it before except on YouTube. Went slow, checked the manual often, and it really wasn't a big deal.

Plus the satisfaction of knowing you did it, and it was done right. Take oil changes for instance. How many dealership techs pre-fill the oil filter when they install the new one? Just that can save massive wear on your engine.

Last edited by jayc67; 04-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to remember that the business is down overall the last few years so the staffing at the dealers are down too. It doesn't take much to back them up now. Just do it yourself and write the mileage down when it was done. I would also buy the parts from the dealer too but thats just me.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdizle
Well in 2 and a half weeks since I've bought the new fatty I've put alittle over a 1000 miles on. I went to schedule the 1000 mile service with the dealer and was told it would be a month wait....damn....there that backed up.....so I talked to a mechanic and he told me to change the oil and if nothing else was a problem it could wait....so i did....bought a service manual and have been reading up.....any thing else I should cheack and or change...it's running tip top with no problems.....
Good choice on the bike dude! Haven't heard of that long of a wait. +1 on the manual, get a filter....some oil and do it yourself. I didn't take mine in until 1500 so I don't think it's a big deal. I've been doing my own work after the first service. Not really difficult.